galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Celebrating Friendship On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one of my least favorite days of the year. I have been single all my life and don’t care to be in a romantic relationship. Nevertheless, seeing store aisles lined with heart shaped chocolate boxes, giant teddy bears, and red roses makes me feel insecure. Valentine’s Day is essentially a holiday that calls out who is in a relationship and who isn’t. With Valentine’s Day approaching, I wanted to help my fellow singles out to make the most of this holiday by focusing on friendship. After all, who said Valentine’s Day is only about romantic love?

Friendship is celebrated on Valentine’s Day in Finland and Estonia. Why not celebrate it more openly in the U.S. as well? I remember buying and receiving paper Valentines, heart shaped lollipops, and candy necklaces as part of elementary school Valentine’s Day celebrations. However, the association between Valentine’s Day and friendship was lost in middle school. Rose grams were available for all students to purchase, but only couples bought them for each other. I want to change that narrative and have an annual day of celebrating friendship.

Expressing gratitude to friends is difficult for me. I find myself struggling to find the “right” time or words to say how meaningful my friendships are. With Valentine’s Day being centered around love, I think it is a great opportunity to celebrate friendship. Some suggestions I have are hosting a girls night out, making friendship bracelets together, or taking cute pictures. For instance, my housemates and I are planning on taking a group photo for cards to send to fellow members in a school club. I also recommend making handmade cards or buying small gifts for your friends. 

Celebrating Valentine’s Day with friends is less nerve racking than celebrating it with your partner. I’ve seen my friends in romantic relationships worry about finding the “perfect” outfit or gift for their partner. Dinner reservations are made in advance. With friends, you don’t have to dress up to go to a fancy restaurant. You can just eat snacks in your pajamas, and at the end of the day, you don’t think anything less of each other. It’s more about the time spent together than being concerned about acting “proper”.

Friendships tend to be more permanent than romantic relationships. During the ups and downs, friends are consistently supportive of you. They are the ones you can count on to listen to your rants, but also the ones happiest about your accomplishments. Let’s all celebrate friendship this Valentines’ Day!

Angie Louie

UC Riverside '24