Career > Her20s

Can a College Degree collide with the Education of Life?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Doubts about a College Degree?

Obtaining a college degree can be a series of daunting tasks. Waking up on time for lectures and discussions, while maintaining a social life can be overwhelming. The fixation to complete college can at times deter students from embracing the education of life itself. How do students navigate the emergence of young adult life? Can these entities co-exist?

Photo by Burdenhall on Imgur

Routines of a College Degree

In highschool, college doesn’t seem close enough. Every day is another set of six classes. The same classes with a mix of people from elementary school and middle school; some of whom wave hi, but mostly people you ignore. The waiting game seems fair and long enough until you begin your college journey. It’s an entire new environment. An exciting, yet terrifying stage of life. As college begins there’s a leverage of freedom and independence, but also a chance of getting stuck in the monotonous cycle of classes, friends, and sleep. A college degree permits the possibility of a career, yet it does not guarantee it. Midterm seasons and finals place students in a state of frustration. Cramming loads of information in the span of a couple days, to finish a test, and eventually obtain a degree. Is this really worth it? Sometimes college appears to be a never ending rut of applications and tests. Can aptitude ensure someone’s happiness? A piece of paper that will establish an integral part to scholarly momentum. Can it be useful in the real world? How does one apply a college degree to real life dreams?

Photo by obsoncapital.com

What about the education of life?

College students have a series of directions to follow. Get adjusted to college life. Have a good social circle. Endure the gruesome finals week. Often times students are met with the passive consumption of note taking rather than true engagement and participation. It begins by dismantling how society, “stressed utility, materialism, scientific knowledge so much that they have been turning into robots” (Fuller). The methodical culture of institutionalized education can diminish the power and beauty of knowledge. This begins with the education of life. An idea in which a student immerses oneself into society with a growth-mindset. An active seeker that understands that through the anxieties and overwhelming aspects of tests or new life experiences, one can embrace growth and reach new heights.

Photo by unsplash on Medium

How do make use of your college degree and education of life?

1. Create the space and time for yourself to reflect in silence. The constant noise of sensationalized media or textbooks can drown out an opportunity to truly engage and learn.

2. Prioritize being present over completing tasks. The routines of obtaining a degree can be tasking on a student’s ability to imagine and dream.

3. Make intentional conversations with people about ideas and goals. This will allow you to proactively build your network and future plans.

4. Create personal projects that align with your goals and academic vision. Don’t make your passions just a hobby. Start little by little implementing what you learn in the classroom through creative films or research publications.  

Photo by Habits on greatperformersacademy

As college students there’s an obligation to succeed, yet there is a blindside of mental complacency. It’s easy to get jaded by busy work, but when a student engages in the education of their own life they can find a place of peace. It’s all about embracing the challenges and taking it step by step. Little by little college students can find a way to cultivate their passions and actualize their dreams.

Yale Chung

UC Riverside '21

An artist. A learner. A proclaimer. Lover of words and empowerment. In my free time I enjoy listening to personalized narratives and petting my dogs. I am a firm believer in freestyle dance and ice cream.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.