This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Plan B
Alexandra Redmond / Spoon

When I first started thinking about going on birth control, I was a little hesitant. I had heard a lot of my friends/family members tell me all the negative things that had happened to them, or they had read about, and so I was scared of how it would actually affect me.

In my junior year of high school, one of my really good friends started taking birth control. She explained to me how she had to do it at the same time every day, and how if she missed a day it would completely mess everything up. It seemed so stressful remembering to take it every day at the same time, that I decided (at the time) I did not want to do it. My friend would just tell me how it helped with cramps and her acne. About two years went by and my boyfriend wanted me to go on birth control for any precautions. I went to my doctor and they told me the negative and positive effects of it, but I was still hesitant because I was scared of gaining weight while going on the pill. My doctor reassured me that there were different kinds of pills that I could take and we would find the one that was perfect for me and that would be the one I would take normally.

white pills placed on pink backdrop
Photo by Anna Shvets from Unsplash

Although I was already in college, I felt like this was something I wanted to tell her I was doing. And although, the main purpose for me doing it was to get rid of my acne my mom knew that it would also be a safe and simple way to prevent pregnancy. I thanked her for supporting me on whether I wanted to go on it and then decided to make a pros and cons list of whether it would be beneficial for me.

Kristen Bryant-Winky Face With Pills
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Pros:

1. An effective way to prevent pregnancy

2. Lighten periods/ lessen cramps

3. Prevents/lessens acne

4. Reduces the risk of ovarian cysts

5. Relieves symptoms of PMS (the mix of physical/emotions systems the days leading up to your period)

Cons:

1. Doesn’t protect against sexually transmitted diseases

2. Increase risk in blood clots and high blood pressure (especially for nicotine smokers)

3. Moodswings

4. spotting/breakthrough bleeding is common in the first few months

5. Weight gain

Toa Heftiba
Toa Heftiba / Unsplash

After thinking about this, I decided to go on the pill. It’s been about 3-4 months and I actually really enjoy it. There are many more pros than cons while on it which is probably the reason that I like it. When I first started taking it, it gave me a lighter period and at one point it completely went away since my normal period was only like 3-4 days. It has given me less acne and I have much clearer skin now than when I first started taking it. It also relieves my symptoms of PMS but gives me mood swings instead which in a way can be worse but in my case, it is not really a negative effect. I haven’t gained weight nor has there been any spotting. I am not too worried about STDs because I have been with my partner for a while and I know that we are both committed to each other and get checked out every time we go to the doctors. Overall, the pill is actually pretty great for me, but if you want to take it, get in touch with your doctor and what they recommend for you.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!