This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Valentine’s Day is less than a month away and that is one of the last major holidays of the holiday season. As Covid took over our lives, our lives have become entirely glued to the screen. Dating has definitely become harder during a world pandemic but there are still people that have found love during this time which proves my theory that whatever is meant to happen will happen to you no matter what the circumstances are. In fact, two of my closest friends have found serious relationships during a pandemic and I have heard stories of others finding love too whether it’s through online dating apps or sliding into someone’s DMs. Since we are in an online world for a while, I am going to tell you what I think about these three popular dating apps and which one I think is the best. The three most popular dating apps I have used and I know are used mostly by others are Hinge, Bumble, and Tinder. 

Hinge

n my opinion, Hinge is the best one between Hinge, Bumble, and Tinder. Out of these three apps, I have had the most fun with Hinge. If you are looking for a relationship mainly, then Hinge is the best app. They have fun prompts for you to respond to and to put on your own profile in addition to having fun captions for each of your photos. These different prompts are creative and are good conversation starters. For example, one of the prompts is “the key to your heart is…” and you can put any answer you want such as chocolates or money or anything. The person who comes upon your profile can see it and decide whether they like your answer and respond to it. So it is not strictly a person liking you based on your photos only, they can match with you just by clicking on your prompts so you know it’s because they are attracted to your personality in addition to your looks. Furthermore, Hinge allows you to put different locations around the world, so if you want to put your location in Paris, then you can and talk to boys or girls there. Furthermore, I believe this app is safe, they do not allow you to send any pictures in the chats to each other so neither individual can send false pictures. In addition, there is a video chat option so one can video chat with the other person to make sure it is them really. Overall, I think Hinge is the best because of the different prompts, and it really leads you to have long and fun conversations with individuals around the world. 

Bumble

Bumble is another good option because they have different modes such as BFF mode, or business mode for work. Bumble does not allow you to go into travel mode so you are restricted to your location only. One thing bumble does differently is that the girl has to make the first move and while the intention behind that is to empower womxn to not be shy about making the first move, it can be annoying. I like having the freedom whether I make the first move or the other individual makes the first move. Other than it, the BFF feature is pretty fun if you are new in town. Overall, this is an okay app to use.

Tinder

Tinder in my opinion is the one I do not like at all. I think this app is not that safe to use unlike the other two especially because I have heard stories while reading an article on BBC about dangerous Tinder dates gone wrong and this app is most known for catfishing and this has be. Furthermore, individuals on this app from my experience are used for hookups more than a proper conversation or date. If you are looking for a hookup then Tinder is the best choice otherwise, I never really had any good conversations with anybody on here. The one thing that annoys me the most is that the choices are not that good, most people just upload bathroom pictures of themselves. Overall, Tinder does not give me good vibes from when I have used it but everyone has different experiences.

Rithika Nair

UC Riverside '21

Hi, I am a 21 year old college student attending UCR who loves movies, books and adventures! :P