Wellness

Beginners Guide to Cleansing and Charging Crystals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

In the past few years, the craze over crystals has reached an all-time high. With Witch-Tok appearing on every 15-25 year old’s phone, it’s easy to get false information from the overload. Many people don’t know where to start or what to do, but that’s why I’m here to help! I have been collecting and studying crystals since 2017 and have been exposed to witch-tok-like information since I was little with help from my yogi of a mother.

So, where do you start? 

It’s simple: go to your local crystal shop and choose ones that are drawn to you. Take as much or as little time as you need and ask the shop workers questions! They often love to educate and help out. After that you can go home and cleanse the babies! You can cleanse them in water (be sure to check if your crystal is water compatible first!), smudge them in sage or palo Santo smoke, or if you have some selenite (which is a specific cleansing crystal) you can use that as well! There are plenty of other ways to cleanse them so choose which method fits your schedule, intentions, and budget. Make sure to repeat out-loud or in your head cleansing affirmations such as: “I am cleansing this crystal from all energies that may have previously come in contact with it” or “I am restoring this crystal to its natural state” and others along those lines. 

After you feel it has been fully cleansed, you can begin charging! Charging your crystal simply sets the intention of what you want it to do and almost gives the crystal some tips on how to help you. I recommend researching each crystal name and its properties. You can write them all down and even refer back when choosing which to meditate with or keep in your pocket for the day. Then repeat more affirmations! This time saying phrases like “This [crystal name] will help me attract [(whatever that crystal is best for]” or “This [crystal name] will aid me in pursuing [whatever you would like to pursue]”. After that you can simply set your crystals out on a window sill or outside under the moonlight and have them bathe for a night. Then you can retrieve them in the morning and that’s it! Your crystals are officially cleansed and charged!

Now that you and your crystals are soul-bonded besties, you can begin using them however you’d like! You can carry some around in your bra or pocket. You can meditate with them, or you can just keep them around your living space to create a protective or loving environment. Whichever way you choose to use your crystals, just know that they are on your side— if nobody got you, the pretty rocks with magical powers do!

Isabelle Cherubin

UC Riverside '25

Isabelle is a Theatre, Film and Digital Production major at UC Riverside.