Back to School Tips: UCR Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As we near the end of week one, numerous of my fellow students agree that this fall is definitely making us feel some type of way. This quarter has been especially fast-faced for me so far due to having jobs on campus, and adjusting to a school schedule that has multiple back to back classes. 

However, as I begin to find my feet, I would like to share some tips which have helped me survive previous quarters. 

(Courtesy of Pinterest)

Tip 1: Calendars, Calendars, and Planners

With numerous classes bombarding you at one time, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Start by printing out your syllabus and plan long term. Write down all the exams, quizzes, and papers on a place where you can always see them. Personally, I love to use a monthly white board, a weekly planner, and also Google Calendar.

(Courtesy of Weheartit)

Tip 2: De-Stress With Things You Enjoy

Do what makes you feel good! Whether this be painting, a face mask, or writing. De-stressing can look like numerous things, but as long as you feel good after and its healthy then that’s what matters. Self-care is so important because your body doesn’t just need to be in good physical health to function, but also good mental health. Doing things that cause you to be happy will lower your stress levels, make you happy, and increase your productivity for school.

(Courtesy of Pinterest)

Tip 3: Seek Help When You Need It, But Always Have Someone When You Don’t

UCR has so many resources to help students with a variety of struggles which range from financial and emotional, to physical. If you don’t have a mentor or person you can turn to when you’re going through conflict, then I would highly recommend one. Peer mentors come through gender, ethnic, and academic programs. Examples include: Transfer Peer Mentors, Chicano Link Mentors, ACE (Academic, Coaching, and Encouragement) Mentors, Early Assist Mentors, and the list goes on. 

These mentors are students and can offer support from a different perspective as you, but have the similarity of being a student. Even having a staff mentor who you can confide with is amazing because you can have a shoulder to rely on. The most important thing to remember is that you shouldn’t feel like you’re “annoying” someone by talking about your feelings. Your feelings are valid and real if they’re affecting your well-being in any way.

(Courtesy of UCR’s WRC: Women’s Resource Center)

Overall, with school beginning there’s time to try to develop great habits this Fall. The quarter system definitely can fly by, but just remember UCR has so many resources and you should definitely use them to your advantage. So whether it be using the study rooms at Rivera or getting a free massage at the SRC, do whatever it takes to make this your year!

Here’s to a new school year and making it amazing! Happy Fall, y’all.

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.