Aundrey Jones: Someone to look out for!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I had the honor of meeting Aundrey Jones my first year at UCR. From day one I was intrigued at the way he carried himself. As we are now in our 4th year at UCR, I have been able to see him grow as a person and have been able to witness many of his accomplishments. Since then, we have had conversations that range from talking about music, pop culture, my boy troubles, to our ideas for helping out at our favorite nonprofit organizations. I love having a friend like Aundrey, because of the outlook he has on life. In my times where I have struggled, he has been a very supportive friend that’s helped me look at the bigger picture every time. I know how passionate he is about helping out communities that need the help, with the focus on teens and guiding them towards a better future.

There has not been a single person at UCR in my circle of friends that I see give back to the community as much as I have seen from Aundrey. With the respect he has for women and desire to give back to those in need is phenomenal. He has worked so hard throughout his career at UCR and I cannot wait to see the accomplishments he has ahead of him, as I know they will be beneficial for not only him, but our society as well.

Major: African-American Studies

Year: Senior

Hometown: Palmdale, CA

Relationship Status: Committed

Current obsession: Michael Jackson’s “Bad” album

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Somewhere getting ready to finish my PhD. Not sure where I’d be geographically, but I know I’ll be committed to my study only to be in the process of re-imagining where I’ll be in the following 5 years – academically, professionally, personally. I anticipate to be somewhere near where my most drastic life events are likely to occur.

Who inspires you?

The artist, the intellectual, and the lover. And the loving, intellectual artist in everyone. Yes, that  includes you.

What are some things you have been a part of in Riverside and/or contributed in?

I started out with my involvement with an organization called “Brothers Leading African-Americans through Consciousness and Knowledge” (B.L.A.A.C.K). I made my way into the organization as a freshman up until my third year. I’ve been a part of ASUCR for some time as well. It was during my third year when I started working for housing, joined a community organization called “All of Us or None” and became somewhat affiliated with Riverside’s chapter for the N.A.A.C.P. This year I became part of a collective called “Inland Empire Outside the Cage (IEOC)” and have been working on anti-policing, anti-prison, and anti-jail expansion work in the community.

What are the social justice type of programs or charity’s that interest you the most?

Anything that puts people first and recognizes and works for the betterment of a human’s essential needs. I am deeply grounded in abolition work, critical engagement with under-privileged communities (mainly people of color), and youth outreach.

What are your plans after UCR?

My plans are to most likely move out of state to pursue my PhD in African American Studies. Most likely to have attained my doctorate before I reach 30. I plan to continue writing and traveling and engaging in public speaking opportunities in and outside the country.

Ivette Sanchez

UC Riverside

Media and Cultural Studies Major, Women Studies Minor Lover of all things beauty and fashion
UC Riverside

UC Riverside