Are You Ready for the Holidays?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It might not feel like it, but the holidays are just around the corner. Finals, study groups, and stressing over next quarter’s class schedule can make you forget your holiday cheer. As kids we were head over heels for this time of year. Now it’s easy to find ourselves ranting about the cost of gifts and gas prices for the drive home from campus.  Don’t let adult life turn you into a Scrooge this season! Here are some ways to get you into the holiday spirit.

1.       Watch Holiday Movies

This method is a sure way to excite you for the holidays. Watching classics like “Home Alone” during finals week always make me miss Christmas. Pick your favorite Christmas film to remind yourself of what’s to come. Some of my personal favorites: “The Santa Clause”, “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” and “Jingle All The Way”. Everyone loves a good Christmas movie!

2.       Give Back

Giving back has always put me in the mood for the holidays. Local food banks and homeless shelters are always looking for volunteers to help out, especially around this time of year. Here are some local organizations looking for volunteers:  Riverside Community Hospital, Hope for the Hood Inc., and Second Harvest Food Bank. Don’t know of anything in your area? Create your own drive! (Like Kid President did for Socktober!) Ask your friends and family to donate warm jackets for the homeless or pick up toys to donate to local children’s hospitals. And don’t forget to check on campus! UCR has plenty of opportunities for giving back. Not only will you feel great, but you’ll begin to remember what the holidays are really about!

3.       Shop Early

Get out there and start gift shopping! Black Friday is just around the corner, but a lot of stores are already promoting their holiday sale prices. Having gifts early will make you anxious to rap them up and hand them out. This way you get in gear for the holidays and avoid the agony of having to buy all your gifts the day before Christmas. Those lines are no joke. 

4.       Phone Home

We can get so caught up with finals and work schedules that there’s hardly time to call home. Another easy way to pep up for holiday season is to pick up the phone! No matter who it is, Grandma or Grandpa, Aunts or Uncles, just call ‘em! I always call my Grandma to get a rundown of the Christmas dinner menu and it never ceases to excite me for our family Christmas party! Just talking about your family traditions will get you in the spirit. They’ll be happy to hear from you!

5.       Treat Yo Self!

Take Tom and Donna’s advice and give yourself a holiday treat! Buy that scarf you’ve had your eye on forever or give yourself a holiday makeover. You deserve it! Go all out if you want. The holidays are a time for happiness, so get yourself an early Christmas present to enjoy before heading home.

Let us know how you plan on getting into the Holiday spirit!

Raven Morris

UC Riverside

I'm a 3rd year Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside
UC Riverside

UC Riverside