All the Beautiful Places to Experience the Super Bloom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

If your instagram feeds have been filled with beautiful pictures of poppy fields in Lake Elsinore, you have already seen the first of many beautiful outcomes of this year’s super bloom. Usually, these wildflower phenomenons only occur once every ten years, but this is the second bloom Southern California has seen in the last two years. The heavy rainfall that has taken over California the past few months is responsible for the rapid growth of wildflowers and natural grasses that cover hundreds of thousands of acres all along Interstate 15. According to leading nature experts, this is supposed to be the best super bloom California has seen in over 10 years. Since it is unknown whether the next super bloom is coming next year or in the next ten years, here is a list of 4 beautiful locations all over Southern California so that you don’t have to miss this year’s blooms.

Lake Elsinore

(Photo via Times of San Diego)

Lake Elsinore was the first California area to start sprouting beautiful poppies and wildflowers as a result of the super bloom. Perfectly placed between Riverside, San Diego, and Orange county, this spot is the perfectly centered place for many Southern California residents. This particular bloom is so vibrant that it can be seen from space satellite photos.

Antelope Valley

(Photo via Visit California)

Another incredibly colorful and beautiful poppy reserve is located further up north in Antelope Valley. This lesser known area is located in the inner-northern regions of Los Angeles county, making it a perfect photo op spot for residents of Thousand Oaks, Lancaster, Palmdale, and other nearby cities. This location boasts hundreds of thousands of acres of natural poppy reserves.

Malibu Creek State Park

(Photo via Instagram)

While this particular location does not have the bright orange poppy seeds found in primarily inland locations, Malibu Creek State Park’s super bloom shows off acres of bright yellow wildflowers. This is the northernmost location on the list, making it the closest option for people who live in Malibu, Calabasas, Oxnard, and Ventura.

Santa Monica Mountains

(Photo via WeLikeLA)

Another hidden gem for vibrant wildflowers are the Santa Monica Mountains. For those who don’t mind a little bit of a hike, this is another perfect photo spot to capture the superbloom. This spot is the closest to the greater Los Angeles area, so it’s not too bad of a drive from residents of Inglewood, Glendale, Burbank, and other nearby cities.

Isabella Guerrero

UC Riverside '21

A writer learning as I go.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.