Girl With Pigtails Peace Sign Front
Girl With Pigtails Peace Sign Front
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Style

Actually easy, cute hairstyles for long hair

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As a girl who grew up having the infamous FAB for the first twelve years of my life, I make a serious effort to take care of my now-long hair. But the thing that can kind of suck when your hair is long is that there doesn’t always seem to be many ways you can style it if you’re not very fashion-forward. I recently got wolf cut layers added into my length to give it some movement, but styling my hair can feel nearly impossible without spending three hours of time on getting my hair right. If you’re finding yourself in a similar situation, these are my favorite actually easy hairstyles to throw my long hair up in before I head off to class.

Girl With Peace Pigtails Sign Back
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus

High pigtails

This has become one of my favorite hairstyles as of late, because it looks playful and charming without too much commitment. You take four ponytail holders (or only two, if you’re lucky enough to have ones that hold really well) and put two on each wrist. Separate your hair into two more or less even parts. Then, simply brush one part upwards at a time-– I find it easier to do this while leaning to the side, so that I can make sure that the hair goes up smoothly without any bunches on my scalp. As soon as your hair is as high as is comfortable for you (maybe still leaning, if you’re like me), secure it with your ponytail holders. Repeat on the other side and maybe add some hairspray for added security. If you have the time and tools, this can be really cute with some curls or crimps.

Space buns

A classic of the 90s and every other art piece on Pinterest, the space bun is easy to go into from a high pigtail; I simply twist the pigtail until it starts to go up on itself and wrap it around until it becomes a small messy bun. Secure this with another ponytail holder or seven (my hair ties are all realllllly cheap) and some hairspray if you feel like it. I like to keep some pieces from my shorter layers to frame my face for that Lord of the Rings elven feel.

Girl With Sunglasses With Red Wall
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus

Braids

This one is for the girlies who don’t know how to French braid-– just one long braid, or two starting from behind your ears can still look cute and convenient when you don’t have much time. If you’re going for one braid, I like to put my hair in either a regular or a side ponytail and secure it with a ponytail holder. Then, I separate the hair into three parts and braid it down to the end and secure it with another holder. If you want to keep an effortless appearance, you can remove that top holder. For two braids, simply part your hair in two and start braiding right behind your ears down to the end and repeat on the other side. 

All of these hairstyles can be done in less than three minutes (I timed them!). Sometimes just taking a few minutes to do your hair can make you feel confident for the rest of the day, but when you’re short on time or you never learned how to use a curling iron, a quick and actually easy style can really go a long way. Happy hairstyling – I need to buy some better hair ties.

Evelyn Homan

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Evelyn, and I'm a fourth-year English & Creative Writing double major, as well as an Honors student researching independent studying in the 21st century. I love literature, midwest emo and goth rock, alternative fashion, and talking. A lot.