50 Shades of Guilty Pleasure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Yes! I will admit that I gave into the hype and read the 50 shades trilogy! But before you start making assumptions and start regarding me with absolute horror and disgust, just hear me out! Everyone knows that the books are by no means sub par to that of works by Jane Austen or Alexandre Dumas but who cares! Reading is meant to be fun! And even if the main character, Anastasia Steele made me feel like scooping my eyeballs out of my eye sockets at times, the truth is, once you get past the typos, lack of grammar correction, and corny moments, the series is pretty darn addicting. Still don’t believe me, then just read my take on all three books and then you’ll see why the 50 Shades trilogy is one train wreck you won’t be able to take your eyes off.

*SPOILER ALERTS AHEAD!!

Book 1: Fifty Shades of Grey

So if you haven’t already heard, these books started off as Twilight fan fiction. And yes, back in my teeny bopper stage (aka High School) I was a twi hard. I still am, although I’m no longer obsessed, thank you very much. The thing is that even though I started reading the book baring all of that in mind, I still found myself cringing and rolling my eyes during many scenes. Ana claims that she can’t be the sub to Christian Grey’s Dom persona but the thing is, she still does everything he tells her to do. And for some reason it really irritated me that he was always telling her to “sit”. I also hated how he would constantly order for her at restaurants, and when he’d let her pick she’d insist on getting whatever it was that he wanted to get. If that doesn’t wreak as submissive character behavior then I guess everything I’ve ever learned is wrong. I also felt horribly embarrassed that she kept referring to her sexuality as her “inner goddess”. That reminded me of Lizzie McGuire and how she had that cute cartoon alter ego of herself doing silly things. Yes, I know that the point of my article is to vouch for the awesomeness of the Grey trilogy, but I guess being able to demonize the book is what makes it so great. You know it’s bad but yet you can’t peel your eyes away from it. Trust me though, the series gets better! 

Book 2: Fifty Shades Darker
How are you not drawn in by the spooky title? Okay so for me at least the second book is far better then the first. There is less kinky stuff but they’re still having sex all the time. And by all the time I mean ALL THE TIME! But then again I’ve never read an erotic novel so of course I’m shocked. In the second book the plot begins to develop and there is a lot more drama and action enfolding throughout each page. We learn about Christian’s deep dark secrets and why he is the way that he is. I feel like one of the main reasons that I kept reading is because Christian is beyond “fifty shades” of messed up, that his character makes you want to get to the bottom of it all. And I guess you can’t help but pity the poor guy. So in this book, surprise, surprise he asks Ana to marry her after about five weeks of knowing her. He also goes missing for four pages in the book where everyone believes he has died, but when he comes back Ana realizes how much she loves him and says “yes” to his marriage proposal. Meanwhile Ana’s boss concocts a plot to kill Christian. Or so we are left to think as the second book ends.

Book 3: Fifty Shades Freed!
Ana and Christian get married, and then have a honeymoon any girl would die for, meanwhile some ex-boss plots against the Greys. Ana gets pregnant to no ones surprise. Christian reacts in the worst way imaginable, Ana’s ex boss kidnaps Christians sister, Ana has to break Christians heart for about 5 minutes to get away from him and save the day! The rest of the book is pretty good and I’ve already spoiled enough, so for those of you who haven’t read it leave the rest to your imagination, or better yet, go read it.

So no matter what you say about the book (for those of you bashing it), the joke is on us! Because for a book that isn’t a literary master piece, E.L. James is now one rich women. There’s even going to be a movie released! Oh and if you haven’t seen the sketch that some computer came up with when you enter Christian Grey’s description, here it is. Doesn’t he look a lot like Val Kilmer? And I don’t know about you but when I picture Christian, he sure doesn’t look like some old, romance novel creep. I see more of an Alex Peterfyer type. Okay back to reality! I am no longer ashamed to say that I read the trilogy, if you’re in need of an easy read or something to lift your spirits then go pick up a copy of the book…at the library, I don’t suggest purchasing it.  

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.