This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Hats encompass two important F’s: functionality and fashion. One major F they’re missing is food, so if edible headwear is invented one day, count me in. Sadly, I won’t be expanding on that idea in this article, but I will style a few of my favorite hats. Considering my rapidly growing hat collection, it’s undeniable that they have become my go-to accessory. Whether you’re having a bad hair day, trying to block out UV rays, or spicing up an outfit, a hat is your answer to everything. 

Look #1

Hat: Cotton On | Shirt: Thrifted | Sunglasses: Forever21 | Skirt: Brandy Melville | Socks: Daiso | Loafers: Topshop

A floppy hat and great lipstick make any outfit appear more put together with minimal effort. Seriously, try throwing on a floppy hat without feeling at least five times more glamorous. Pair it with a simple blouse and skirt, and you’re ready to stomp to class like the HBIC that you are.

Look #2

Hat: Walmart | Top: Forever21 | Lace cardigan: Marshalls | Skirt: Flea market | Sandals: Reflections

A wine floppy hat can act as a subtle pop of color, which adds interest to a relatively neutral outfit. Pair it with a maxi skirt or maxi dress for a relaxed, daytime look that is great for strolling around town.

Look #3

Cap: Target | Top: Brandy Melville | Vest: Thrifted | Jeans: Urban Outfitters | Creepers: Cuby Rock

The athletic trend has persisted for the past few seasons and doesn’t seem to be diminishing any time soon. A pleather cap is a great way to incorporate the trend into your outfit without going overboard. Since this casual outfit is so comfortable, I’d deem it perfect for a concert.

Look #4

Hat: Cotton On | Top: H&M | Skirt: Thrifted | Heels: Urban Outfitters

I adore the ultra-feminine combination of a floppy hat, crop top, midi skirt, and heels. Replace the crop top with a button-up for a more sophisticated look. This outfit is ideal for going out to a fancy lunch with friends.

Look #5

Hat: Target | Dress: Thrifted | Shoes: Reflections

Pairing a boater hat with an A-line dress creates a whimsical silhouette that takes as much effort as throwing on a t-shirt and sweats. Thrift stores are generally packed with adorable vintage dresses that are waiting to be discovered. I’d happily wear this outfit to a picnic or museum trip.

I'm a fourth year, creative writing major who enjoys thrifting, idolizing David Bowie, and consuming inane amounts of hazelnut coffee.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside