5 TV Series You Can Indulge Yourself In During The Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Okay the picture with the freaky kid and the ominous, glowing TV of death was probably not the best choice for my icon picture, but if we want to be truly honest here, y’all know that’s how you’re going to be once you get hooked or should I say re-hooked to these TV show classics. Okay. They’re not really classics either, but you get my point here. I know I’ve talked about being active during your breaks but let’s face it UCR, (and probably other UC’s) I’m actually not entirely sure; our break is long AF. Some of us may even be taking summer courses, so you know you’re going to want to take a Sunday relaxation day off (or is that just me? IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE!?). So when, and if you do decide to claim back “your show”, and we all know you will, you can revisit these 5 nostalgic series of the past. (Well, my past at least…I need to stop doing this…)

Gilmore Girls

“If you’re out on the road, feeling lonely and so cold, all you need to do is call my name and I’ll be there on the next traaaaain!”

Oh my baby Jesus just hearing that song makes me filled with tears of joy. Gilmore Girls was one of the most remarkable shows my tiny adolescent self could have watched. It was the perfect story set up in a small adorable town that we all wished we could have lived in.

And who could forget Rory’s mom, Lorelei?! I mean she was the coolest mom anyone could have! This show had a plethora of other unforgettable characters that are too indescribable for words but nonetheless unforgettable.  

I guess out of this entire list, this would be the show most resembling a chick-flick. Girl power man, girl power everywhere!

Believe it or not, there were some good life lessons I learned from this show. Is it worth the re-watch? I think so.

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

“Now this is this the story all about how my life got flipped, turned upside-down and I’d like to take a minute, just sit right there, I’ll tell you how I became a prince of a town called Bel-Air.”

Yeah, I guess I’m pretty much going with singing the theme song at the beginning.

Will Smith is too damn funny in this family sitcom. You can once again find an arrangement of dynamic characters coming together in this classic 90s show. (This is without a doubt a classic. I dare anyone to deny it.) If you’re looking for a good hundred laughs per minute then you have found your show. Though I’m not sure I’ve ever met anyone who hasn’t watched this show, but for those of you who haven’t (you are a rare breed) get ready to fall in love with this Brady Bunch that is Uncle Phil, Aunt Viv, Hilary, Carlton, Ashley, Jeffery, and of course Will!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

“NAHHHHH NAH NAH NAHHHHHH. *EPIC ELECTRIC GUITAR*”

I’m not sure if this worked entirely for this one. Oh well.

Badass Sarah Michelle Gellar (aka Daphne for those of you who have watched the live action Scooby Doo movies) takes on vampires, witches, and other monstrous creatures all while going through the everyday drama of high school. What more can you ask for?! I know a good majority of us are way past the high school years but let’s be honest, the drama is the best. I’d also like to point out that this is probably also another classic. Not calling it that would be like saying Sailor Moon or Pokémon was not an important part of our childhoods. LIES.

So if you’re into teen angst and awesome butt kicking, this might be the re-hook you’d like to see.

One Tree Hill

“I don’t want to be anything other than what I’ve been trying to be lately. All I have to do is think of me and I have piece of miiiiiind.”

I’ve just noticed there’s already like three shows on this list that have to do with high school drama. Hm. Maybe cause it’s the best kind of drama??? What what what what!

Nonetheless, One Tree Hill definitely falls within my affection. Though I have not been able to go past Season 3, due to my very busy college life, going through the emotional rollercoaster of the Scott boys and their surrounding friends and family has been very entertaining. This show has no other label for itself other than “English soap opera.”  Not to mention the killer soundtrack the show has. (I don’t know about the most recent episodes but damn, whoever the music supervisor was has a freaking amazing taste in music.)

So if you’re looking for a show oozing with drama, you might be in luck with this one!

America’s Next Top Model

“Do you want to be on top?”

Psh, I’m already there. (Just kidding! I swear I’m not conceited…)

Ah reality TV at its finest. Gorgeous models, girl drama, competition, Tyra Banks, what more could you ask for? This show does beat all.

Just watch one episode of this show and you will become an ANTM addict or re-addict within minutes. I dare ya. 

Amanda Flores

UC Riverside

Amanda is a first year Creative Writing and Pre-Business double major with a minor in Psychology at UC Riverside. With a love for movies and books alike, she strives to be a successful author and film producer one day.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside