This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Hello HCUCR readers, welcome back. I hope you all had a well-rested summer and are ready to conquer this academic year!

As I am entering my last quarter of my undergraduate college career, I remember being such a naive freshman who had no clue what challenges college had in store. So here are a few tips I wished I knew as a newbie, hopefully they will help those of you who are starting their first year here at UCR.

1. Time managementThis skill should be on top of your to-do list to master by the end of your first year. You will find that college has many opportunities and open doors to explore. UCR offers various majors with interesting courses which you can explore while you are here. Also, there are many amazing clubs and events on campus to check out throughout the year. 

I would suggest getting a planner and taking a few hours to add all your assignment, exams, and appointment dates. This will allow you to visualize the workload of this quarter, along with reminders that you have upcoming tests/assignments. You can  also add workshops, events, and club meetings that you would like to attend. Having a planner will help you organize all your activities and give you an idea of all the task you have that week. It will be your little voice that says “Hey maybe you should skip one event/club meeting this week to study for your exam which is next week!”

One other great tip is to write daily to do list and order them by priority. Check them off as you finish them throughout the day, but you should try to complete them in order and not skip around.

2. Office hoursAttend office hours!! Okay I will be honest, going to a TA’s or professor’s office hours is still kind of scary for me. But remember they were in your shoes once, therefore they can relate with you on some level. Office hours is there for you  to ask for additional explanation of lecture material or to even ask for some advice about college and life. It is great to network with your TA and professor because they can be a mentor for you during your college career. Also, when you graduate you will probably need some letter of recommendation.

3. Campus ClubsFor some, going to college meant leaving home and entering a new place filled with unfamiliar faces. With #1 down, you will have some time to join a club full of people with similar interest, in no time they will be your family away from home! For me, college was quite lonely and boring until I got involved on campus. You will look to your club members for guidance and support through hard times and joyous occasions. So come out during nooners and tabling to check out all the clubs offered here! Also check out Highlander Link: https://highlanderlink.ucr.edu/Organizations

A little shout out to the clubs I’m involved in:

Her Campus UCR, of course!

Best Buddies at UCR!

4. ResourcesGet familiar with the resources you find on campus! It will help make college a smoother ride. When you are seeking additional help with your courses, the ARC is the place to go along with office hours of course! Click here to see all the tutoring options the ARC offers. Also, the career center is a very useful resource which host many workshops throughout the year, click here to mark down some dates/workshops you are interested in attending.

5. Mental healthCollege can be overwhelming at times, you need to also remember to balance your schedule and life so you don’t drain yourself. Give yourself alone time each week to just destress! I would recommend hitting the gym and even try some of the classes such as yoga. Say you had a bad week, you can take all your anger out either on the treadmill or even badminton. Also, if you would like to seek counseling you can make an appointment at UCR’s counseling center. There is also an app called Just In Case, which is free that offer resources and contacts for emergency and nonemergency situations.

Until next time, good luck this year Highlanders! 

Elizabeth Duong

UC Riverside

Hello! I am Elizabeth, a senior Neuroscience major at UC Riverside. A few things I fancy: photography, fashion, and thrift stores. Find me on other social medias: http://postcardsfromliz.blogspot.com/ and on YouTube: user - postcardsfromliz. 
UC Riverside

UC Riverside