5 Things You Can Do Now to Land a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Did you spend last summer on your parent’s couch eating Hot Cheetos and watching reruns of Friends? Its ok, we’ve all been there. This summer spend your time working in the field of your choice with an internship. I know, I know. Internships are super hard to land and everybody (I mean everybody) wants one. We’re all aware of the depressing statistics about the job market for college grads. Internships can play a pivotal role in your future, so why not start working on landing the perfect one now! Here are a few tips to get you started.

1. Find your interest

This may seem like a given, but it can be a bit more difficult than you think. Make sure when choosing a field of interest, you’re picking from the things that bring you the most joy. You know yourself better than anyone, so don’t let anything but your happiness influence your decisions. A lot of us go to college and get into fields that might have been chosen for us. When looking at internship opportunities, choose something you could be happy with doing for the rest of your life. Who knows, you might get a job offer!

2. Set up Informational interviews

Once you’ve found a field your keen on, start talking to people. Get in touch with family members, friends, or professors that work in the field for further understanding. Make sure to ask them about their schedule, day to day activity and what sorts of educational background is needed. Informational interviews can give you a clearer example of the ins and outs of working in your field. Make sure to keep in touch with your source, networking is key to landing a job/internship!

3.       Volunteer

Sign up for everything! Volunteering looks great on your resume, especially if you gain experience in your field. Not to mention the biggest reward, helping others. There are some fields where volunteer work is easier to find than others. Don’t let that stop you! Make your own volunteer opportunities if you have to. For example, if you’re interested in graphic design make posters and websites for start-up companies or campus organizations. Find a way you can use your skills to help others!

4.       Visit the Career Center

They are a God-sent. They literally can help you with everything. Set up a meeting with a counselor to talk about your plans or drop in to get your resume critiqued. And don’t forget to practice your poker face for those interviews at the Career Center’s website. Go. Just go. Those people are awesome.

5.       Go for it!

Once you’ve chosen an interest, stopped by the Career Center, talked to people in your field and started being active in your community you’re ready to find those internships and apply. Don’t let anything hold you back, just go for it! Who knows what could happen next!

Tell us about your internship experience! Any tips for those of us applying now? Let us know!

Raven Morris

UC Riverside

I'm a 3rd year Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside
UC Riverside

UC Riverside