This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Most people will jump at the chance to get Invisalign over braces, especially if you’re older. This isn’t a bad thing since they work just as well, but there are still some side effects you should be aware of. No process involving moving your teeth will be silky smooth, so here are some things to keep in mind if you’re looking to start using Invisalign:

1. They will hurt

Invisalign is advertised as being much easier and less painful than braces, which is somewhat true. However, they are still forcing your teeth to move so they will cause some pain. The good thing is that you change aligners every two weeks and they only hurt for about 2 days at the beginning of every two weeks. Taking them on and off is when they cause the most pain. Otherwise, they don’t hurt as much while they’re on. However, they can also cause some minor cuts and blisters since they have rough edges at the start.

(Photo by Michael Browning on Unsplash)

2. They come with attachments

You’ve probably seen countless advertisements for Invisalign where people already have perfect teeth and the aligners slip right off and on. But, depending on your teeth, your orthodontist will most likely put attachments onto your teeth before giving you aligners. Attachments are like little blocks of cement on your teeth for the aligners to grab onto as a way of moving each tooth. The attachments are similarly colored to your teeth so they’re not as noticeable, but don’t go in thinking that you’ll only be having clear plastic showing on your teeth.

(Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels)

3. You can only drink water with them on

In order for the process to work, you have to wear your aligners for approximately 22 hours a day, meaning you can only have them off for 2 hours. If you’re a person who likes to snack often or who has a Starbucks in hand all day long, then Invisalign may not work for you. When you have aligners on, you can only drink water and no other liquids, let alone eat with them on. It may seem like a hassle when you see everyone around you snacking and you don’t want to waste teeth time, however, keep in mind that the treatment is all about self-control. The more time you keep them on, the faster your teeth will move!

(Photo by Phuong Tran on Unsplash)

4. You’ll have to carry a toothbrush around with you EVERYWHERE

Orthodontists advise that you brush your teeth every time before putting your aligners back on. While this may not seem like a big thing at first, wait until you’re out with your friends eating dinner and you realize you forgot your toothbrush. Now, you can rinse and gargle water to clean your mouth for the most part and put them back on until you can brush. But, as time goes on, you’ll realize aligners can feel gross when you don’t brush. My advice is to carry around a bag with a travel toothbrush, travel toothpaste, and floss with you at all times. It may be a pain, but at least you’ll always have minty fresh breath!

5. You’ll probably have a lisp at first

Though the aligners are thin and fit snug at first, your mouth will still need to get used to them being in there. Because of this, you’ll likely have a small lisp when you first start treatment. Some people feel like they can notice it all the time, but it’s more likely that no one else around you is paying attention to your slight lisp. While it may make you self conscious in the beginning, before you know it, it’ll be gone.

At the end of the day, Invisalign is a better, and often faster, option compared to braces, especially if you’re not a fan of having big pieces of metal and wire inside your mouth. Invisalign will get the job done, no matter these little side effects. So, focus on what’s best for you, but stay informed as well.

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.