This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

A rainy day when you’re unprepared isn’t fun. It can automatically put you in a bad mood and put you at the risk of catching a cold later on.

From my own experience, I have gotten my books wet, my socks soaked, and even slipped on the stairs when I was going to my apartment. So, to avoid these mistakes being repeated (over and over) I came up with five tips to help deal with these rainy days.

1. Invest in rain boots!

(Courtesy of Pinterest)

Although this tip may seem like an easy one, I feel this is also what people may be the most reluctant to do. I know my logic was thinking about how it hardly ever rains in sunny CA, so why would I pay for boots I’ll only wear a few times?

Trust me, rain boots will save your socks and feet from all of the puddles you are bound to step in! Another plus to this is they can come in super cute colors and designs. So you can look fly while you stay dry.

2. Layer Up

(Courtesy of Nordstrom)

This tip is easy and keeps you warm at the same time. Wearing multiple layers (camisoles, a long-sleeve, a hoodie, raincoat, and so on) is one quick way to stay dry. I usually keep on a few layers under my hoodie then top it off with a beanie and a rain jacket.

Once, I was wearing only a hoodie in the rain and I was absolutely DRENCHED from my head to toe. This was a bad day for me and my clothes.

3. Rainy Day Playlist

(Courtesy of Shazam)

The gloomy weather and thunder is also something that can be negative to those experiencing the rain. A good way to ignore this weather is to put together some tunes that embrace the rain or remind you of the sunny days to come.

Personally, I love to listen to rain themed tracks such as “It’s Raining Men” by the Weather Girls or “Rainy Dayz” by Mary J. Blige (featuring Ja Rule).

4. Use some plastic

(Courtesy of Heartland Institute)

Getting your rental books would definitely suck. Happened to me twice, so on my third time experiencing Riverside rain I managed to take the advice given to me from my grandma. She recommended I use a grocery bag in my backpack to my things in to keep them dry.

You can reuse the bag for whenever it rains and it keeps everything in tact, so you don’t have to find yourself using a hair dryer later.

5. BUY AN UMBRELLA!

(Courtesy of Dazed)

If you were to take away anything from these tips, buying an umbrella is utterly the most important one. Usually everyone waits until it rains to buy one, so buying an umbrella in advance would be a great idea.

There’s the chance of it raining multiple times, so you’ll get your bang for your buck if you’re hesitant in buying one.

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.