4 Fun Things to Do in Vancouver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Over this past winter break, I took a trip to Vancouver, Canada for my younger brother’s hockey tournament. While I was expecting to watch a lot of hockey, I was not expecting to enjoy the city as much as I did. I was there for about 5 days, but I was able to see and experience so many things. Here are a few highlights that I think you should visit.

(Photo via West Jet Magazine)

Stanley Park

Stanley Park is a very large park equipped with plenty of forest, hiking trails, cafes, and even its own aquarium. It borders a beautiful marina and houses a little lighthouse along the path that follows the water. There are also beautiful Native Canadian totem poles and historical sites that are free to visit. All of these things to see and activities to do are located just 10 minutes outside of Downtown Vancouver. If you don’t love walking around cities, I would highly recommend taking an entire day to explore the park.

(Photo via The Culture Trip)

A Canucks game

I am a huge hockey fan, but I think this can be enjoyed by anybody, even if you aren’t an avid sports goer. The stadium is in the heart of downtown, and their metro system makes it very easy to get to the game safely and not have to worry about parking. Hockey is a huge thing all over Canada, so attending a game where the sport originated is a completely exhilarating experience. The crowd is super pumped but respectful, the game is good, and the stadium is beautiful.  

(Photo via Cap Bridge)

Capilano Suspension Bridge

This was probably my favorite part of the trip. Capilano Suspension Bridge park is a little further outside of the downtown area, but it is totally worth the trip. They offer a student discount with proof of school ID that allows you to enter the park at a reduced price. Inside there are a number of restaurants, sweet shops, and the famed suspension bridge. It overlooks a beautiful forest and river, and it is definitely an adrenaline rush. On the other side of the bridge, you can literally walk in the trees thanks to a series of bridges built up and around the trees.

(Photo via Instagram)

Buro’s Coffee Shop

While Tim Horton’s is the most famous coffee chain in Canada, I found this little coffee shop to be the best. Every day I was in Canada, I tried a different coffee place, and this was the best by far. The interior is absolutely beautiful, and all of their coffee drinks include latte art. Their pastries are delicious, and their attention to detail is impeccable. If you go, I would recommend the london fog latte and an almond croissant.

These were my absolute favorite parts of my visit to Vancouver. As someone who lives in Southern California, I had the best time enjoying the daily rain, cold temperatures, and all the nature and scenery. I think it is the perfect place to go if you want to plan your first international trip, as it is only a 3 hour flight from LAX and it is fairly inexpensive.

Isabella Guerrero

UC Riverside '21

A writer learning as I go.