This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As someone who is persistently discovering music, I’ve found myself to be the most empowered when listening to female vocals. I’d like to share some of my favorite womxn musicians who have significantly influenced me. 

La Luz

La Luz is an all-girl surf rock band who originated from Seattle and made their way to Los Angeles. The band consists of lead singer and guitarist Shana Cleveland, bassist Lena Simon, and keyboardist Alice Sandahl. Although Shana’s voice is the prominent one in their music, you can hear layered harmonic vocals from all three to produce a dream-like effect in each of their albums It’s Alive, Weirdo Shrine, and Floating Features. Most of their music is reminiscent of 60s surf guitar artists such as Takeshi Terauchi, and incorporates hazy-tremolo effects that are drenched in reverb. One reason I admire this band so much is because of the amount of versatile emotions that their music can produce for me. They have songs I can loosen up and dance to like “You Disappear,” songs I can scream to like “Black Hole, Weirdo Shrine,” and songs to cry and reflect on life with “Walking into the Sun.” 

The Regrettes

One of my absolute favorite artists is The Regrettes. The punk rock/pop band is led by frontwoman Lydia Night, along with guitarist Genessa Gariano, Brooke Dickson on bass, and Drew Thomsen on drums. Their riot grrrl inspired music and lyrics are focused on themes such as woman empowerment, feminism, heartbreak, and love. Night’s unapologetic, loud vocals and distorted guitars on my favorite album of theirs Feel Your Feelings Fool!, have allowed me to feel like my most badass and confident self. Whenever I’m driving around with my best friend, this band is almost always on to scream our hearts out and head-bang to. 

Melody’s Echo Chamber 

Melody Prochet is a French neo-psychedelic and dream pop musician. Her work is surrounded by fuzzy 12-string guitars and prominent drums, noted in songs from her self-titled album such as “Some Time Alone, Alone,” and dreamy, angelic vocals in “Mount Hopeless,” that can make one feel as if they are in an actual echo chamber listening to her music. Prochet has several songs sung in French that reflect her origin, primarily on her newest album Bon Voyage. I highly recommend listening to her “melodies” and if you do, prepare to feel like you’re in a trance when listening to her beautiful, lightweight vocals.

Vashti Bunyan

With the cold, gloomy weather upon us, I like to listen to soft and simple music that allows me to feel calm. English singer-songwriter Vashti Bunyan, is an underrated woman folk artist that deserves more recognition for her ethereal work. Her album Just Another Diamond Day depicts her delicate voice that calmly floats through the entire piece. She creates a tender and intimate atmosphere with fingerpicking on her guitar in the song “I’d Like to Walk Around In Your Mind” that is perfectly paired with a cello to allow listeners to feel at peace. 

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.