This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The end of the year has finally arrived which means the most favorite holidays are near. However, the holidays might look different this year. In whichever way you celebrate, here are three things to keep in mind. 

The pandemic is still here

Just because it is everyone’s favorite time of year does not mean the pandemic has simply gone away. If you haven’t watched the news lately COVID-19 cases are increasing rapidly in America, especially in California. Health officials strongly urge residents here to take extreme precautions this year. It is highly recommended to only celebrate the holidays with those in your household and if other friends and family do visit, it is advised for them to get tested and quarantined for 14 days before. The hospitals, doctors, nurses, and other front-line workers are overwhelmed with the exponential growth of cases and we still must do everything we can to slow the spread. 

Shop small business

Small businesses were hit hard when the pandemic arrived, and others were forced to shut down. This holiday season keep them in mind. Instead of buying from big corporations look for small businesses you can support that have the products you are looking to buy. An easy way to do this is simply going on social media and typing keywords into the search bar. With the newest Instagram update, users can now buy products through the app. A lot of small business owners put up their products here to make it much easier to purchase. Etsy is also a perfect place to go to and their website is simple to navigate. Large corporations do everything they can to please consumers, but the genuine appreciation and thoughtfulness small business owners have are things these corporations lack. So, make someone’s day and buy from their small business. 

Be grateful to see another holiday season

This is a big one. I think we can all say that 2020 was a hectic year. From the Australian brush fires, the global pandemic that also brought an economic crash, Black Lives Matter protests, stress from a very important election, and much more, this year felt like many years smashed into one. One key thing to remember this holiday season is that it looks different this year for many families because many will be celebrating without a loved one. The COVID-19 pandemic took 1.34 million lives worldwide and counting. Also, many people in America and across the globe faced, and still face, hardships, and suffering. Remember to appreciate the simple fact that you are able to see another holiday season.

These are three things to keep in mind as the end of the year is near. But also unwind, relax, and have fun (safely) this time of year. 

Alyssa Monroy

UC Riverside '24

A cellular, molecular, and developmental biology major and public policy minor that loves science, beauty, and writing.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.