3 Passive Aggressive Behaviors You Might Be Guilty Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Bragging
The victim: Your friend/frenemy, regardless of how un-jealous you try to reassure yourself that you are, she still has that something that you want for yourself. Whether it be her clothes, personality, friends or activities, is there anything this girl doesn’t have? This may lead you to try to outdo her. “Oh you just got an A on that midterm? Well I…”

The solution: Remind yourself that you two are unique in your own ways, and there might be things about you that she envies as well. It is perfectly normal to be envious, but it shouldn’t come between a relationship.

Procrastination:
The victim: Your Grades, your job
When approached with a demand that you don’t want to do or cannot reasonably complete on time, procrastination on your part may ensue. It may be a big project due for your boss in two days or even a lightbulb that’s out in your ancient house that your mom asked that you change again. Instead of vocalizing your frustration, you may wait until the last minute to complete the task, or not do it at all and have to make up an excuse.

The solution: Take on the task one step at a time! If you have a week until your assignment is due, don’t leave it for the night before. For example, writing an article: Break it up into parts, so that maybe you do the research portion the first day, the interviewing the second, write the article the third and fourth and leave the last few days for editing. If the project seems unmanageable within the given time frame, then another option is to express your concerns. Talk it out if you feel as if you can not produce the results they want by the deadline that they are asking for. Chances are, unless the deadline is absolutely vital, the they would rather take your best work even if its a day or so late. And if you know it is going to be late, be sure to tell them in advanced.

Mirroring
Victim: Your boyfriend/crush
He’s makes you happy, so you don’t want to be the one to keep him from something that makes him happy. If his partying all weekend or talking to other girls and it upsets you, then mirroring happens when you go out and do the same, instead of talking to him about it. He hasn’t answered your calls or texts all day, and when he finally does you try to “punish” him by not responding.

The solution: Being honest and confronting him about what’s bothering you is the the best option for your relationship in the long run. Nobody wants to be “that” girlfriend who is needy and controlling, but if you keep your concerns to yourself, then that pent up frustration could explode in the long run. If he truly cares about you then he will want to know what bothers you

There are healthier ways of expressing anger, the most effective of which is often just talking it out. Voicing your concerns in a calm and open-minded manner can go a long way!

Stephanie Fong

UC Riverside

Stephanie Fong is a second year Pre-Business major at the University of California Riverside. She discovered her love for journalism while writing for her high school newspaper. She is also the Director of Electronic Communications and a proud member of UCR's Delta Gamma. This adventure-seeking, cardio-kickboxing food-lover can't wait to share her stories with you!
UC Riverside

UC Riverside