Career

3 Cashback Apps That Actually Give Cash Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Even before entering college, I’ve always kept my eye on cash back programs and finding the best deals online. I spent a lot of time online creating wishlists and buying things that I probably didn’t need. But I never bought anything without making sure I had my cashback link set up( if it was available) and now I always scan my receipts into my phone.

Although a lot of cash back websites are only limited to bigger brands, and it takes a while to accumulate rewards, after a while, they are completely worth it.

They might be suspicious at first, but I’m here to vouch that they work and are worth adding two minutes to your day to use them.

Swagbucks

(Photo courtesy of Swagbucks)

Yes, it’s a corny name, but after using this site on and off for two years, I admit that I have accumulated quite a decent amount of “swagbucks” on their site. It’s enough for a $50 Paypal card, Visa card, Amazon card, and a lot of other offers they have available.

By using their search bar on their website, I always check to see if the website I’m going to be shopping on will available for rewards. If it is, I’ll click the link, check out, and my swagbucks would be added to my account within the next few weeks.

In addition to shopping, this site also gives you swagbucks for playing games, doing online surveys, and watching videos.

It might take a while to reap the rewards, but if you ever have time to kill, Swagbucks just might get you your next $50.

Swagbucks has both an app and a website.

Ebates

(Photo courtesy of Ebates)

You can probably remember seeing these commercials on TV, and you can also remember ignoring them. But with a sister who has two kids and constantly bought them clothes online, she was one of the people who gave it a try. I can say that the checks did come in.

Essentially like Swagbucks’ cousin, Ebates gives you back a percentage of your purchase and it accumulates in your account. At the end of every quarter they either mail you a check or deposit your earned back cash directly to your Paypal account.

The only loss with cash back websites like Ebates is that you need to go through the app or use a link through your browser. Just two extra minutes can get you money back on your purchases, which is why i think that they are completely worth it.

Ebates has both an app for your phone and a website.

ReceiptHog

(Photo courtesy of ReceiptHog)

Besides having a great pun as the name, ReceiptHog is my personal favorite and the easiest to use. All you have to do is take a picture through the app of your receipts from the stores you’ve gone to, and you get “coins”. Receipts can be up to two weeks old and they can be anywhere from a local supermarket to the campus bookstore. If you go to a certain store, you get a chance at their slot machine where you get another chance to get more coins. If you upload at least one receipt once a week you get entries in their monthly drawings,

they take awhile to accumulate but within a few months you will get a reward for Paypal or your gift card of choice. Receipt Hog is one of the apps I constantly use, helping me get money back on my purchases.

Receipt Hog is only available as an app.

(Photo courtesy of  rawpixel on Unsplash)

The only con with using these websites is that they take a few more minutes out of your days and that you need to have a lot of patience. But if you’re a constant online shopper, Swagbucks or Ebates can reward you for that. Meanwhile, Receipt Hog will benefit those who are always running errands or eating out.

Cash back apps might seem a little fishy at first, but they really are worth it. If you’re still a little iffy on using them, you can always read their about pages on their websites.

Yes you have to spend money to make money, but at the end of the day, you’re getting back money on things you were going to invest in anyways.

Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.