This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I finally hit the big 21 on November 17th, and I reflected on some valuable life lessons that I have experienced and learned throughout the past year. Growing up isn’t the easiest thing, but it’s what you make out of it that makes life exciting. Here are 21 things I’ve learned by 21. 

1. Every Relationship in Your Life is Meaningful

Whether good or bad, any relationship or person you’ve come across in your life has meaning. It’s impacted who you are as a person and has been able to teach you valuable life lessons, whether temporary or meant to stay.

1. Love is Scary, but it is a Beautiful Thing!

I’ve had my share of bad experiences with love and it made me afraid of it for a while. I’ve learned, however, that I’m not unlovable, I just hadn’t found the right person yet. Thankfully, I have now. Plus, why fight the love when you can embrace it? 

1. Carry a Travel Diary With You Wherever You Go

I can’t stress this enough! I started taking a small journal with me everywhere I go to jot down what I come across. It helps me take in and observe everything better. It’s also fun to read afterwards. 

1. Document Memories As Much as You Can

I take pictures and videos of literally everything and I always thank myself for it because these are memories that  I can always look back on. 

1. Doing Things Alone is Healing Sometimes 

One of the harsh truths about getting older is that you’re going to be a little more on your own. However, this is necessary for your own personal growth as a human being, and it’s honestly therapeutic sometimes because you only have to worry about yourself and getting your own things done. 

1. Don’t Feel Guilty For Resting

Burnout is most definitely real. We’ve been trained to overwork ourselves and do X,Y, & Z all at once. We sometimes forget to just take it one day at a time. We all deserve to relax every now and then. 

1. Manifesting Works

Writing things down in my manifestation journal has been one of the greatest things I have started because it allows me to envision the things that I want in the future. If you really put yourself in the mindset of obtaining your goals or dreams or desires, it works, with intention of course. 

1. Live in The Present 

This life is so short and you never know when it may end, so live it to your fullest potential and have fun with it. Don’t worry so much about the past or future, do things NOW!!

1. If Things Don’t Work Out, There’s Always a Plan B

Most of the time, it was probably for a reason, but there’s room for more ideas and different redirections to take. Just because that one thing didn’t work out, it doesn’t mean that your life is over. 

1. Sometimes Friends Drift Apart 

The older you get, the more responsibilities you have to tackle. Especially when your friends are going through the same things. You’re going to get busy and so are they, so don’t take it personal. Just because your friendships drift apart or you don’t talk as much anymore doesn’t mean that the friendship is over. 

1. Keep Some of Your Life Details Private

Not many people have the best intentions with your life details or successes. This especially goes for social media. Some may envy you or just straight up hate on your life, plus people are just nosey. Not everything is meant to be known for everyone. 

1. Don’t Let Overthinking Get the Best of You

Overthinking and anxiety have been my worst enemies, but I’ve learned that 9 times out of 10, things are not as big as you make them out to be. Don’t nuke it, aka don’t overthink it!

1. Travel As Much As You Can! 

I’ve traveled to many places within the past year and I have no regrets. It’s taught me to live more adventurously and to take more spontaneous trips when I can. It creates the best memories and experiences.

1. Go To As Many Concerts/Shows As You Can 

Music is my everything! I may be broke after buying tickets, but once I’m there enjoying the music and the moment, I have no regrets. 

1. Patience 

As an impatient person, I’ve learned that good things truly do take time. You can’t see results in a day and you have to be okay with that. With time, things will get better. Everything happens when it needs to be. 

1. Romanticize Your Life

Think of yourself as the main character and look at the beauty in every little thing. Pour love into everything you do. 

1. Don’t Wait Up On Others or Opportunities 

You can’t let life pass you by, especially because they probably aren’t waiting for you. 

1. Don’t Let People Abuse Your Kindness

I’ve learned the hard way. Don’t let people walk all over you. You can’t always make yourself available to others, especially if they do not reciprocate the same amount of energy and respect. 

1. Literally Do Whatever You Want and What You Like

It’s not their life, it’s yours and people are going to judge you regardless. I could care less about what others think of what I post, do, or like, because one thing I am gonna do is talk my sh*t. You’re your own person; why waste time trying to mold yourself into someone you’re not. 

1. Don’t Be Afraid to Socialize or Meet New people. 

Sometimes you just have to be yourself out there. It’s daunting, but once you strike up a conversation with someone, you never know what cool interaction or memory it’ll bring you. 

1. Finally, Love is Real Because I Exist and I Am Full of It. 

21 definitely seems intimidating and as I get older, I’m thankful for all of the lessons I’ve learned. I cannot wait to see what new opportunities and experiences will come my way.  Now, I think I deserve a drink—or two.

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.