This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

This past Tuesday, I celebrated my 20th trip around the sun underneath the celestial sky at Joshua Tree. While I spent my time there absorbing everything all around me, I was able to reflect back on how much I’ve learned so far in my life. I’ve always been afraid of reaching this age and saying goodbye to my teenage years, but I’m happy to share what I’ve learned. 

Adulting Isn’t All That Fun

When we’re young, we always say that we can’t wait to be older. However, a lot of responsibilities come with adulthood. The reality is: adulting is scary and we should cherish every single moment of our youth.

Give Yourself Credit

You’re trying your best and that is enough. 

Stop Comparing Yourself to Others

We are all so unique in our own ways and we shouldn’t waste our time trying to be someone we’re not.

Your First Heartbreak Won’t be Your Last

Trust me. The first is always going to hurt and you will feel like absolute sh*t, but this will happen several times *sigh.*The good part is that each one after the 1st won’t hurt as bad because you’ll have learned by then how to deal with it.

Healing Isn’t Linear

Healing takes time and is different for everyone. It isn’t a straightforward process, but rather it is a journey into becoming your best self. 

five women laughing
Photo by nappy from Pexels

Family Isn’t Always “Family”

Just because you’re blood-related to someone doesn’t justify their hurtful actions towards you. Most of my closest friends I consider more family than my actual family. 

Change is Uncomfortable But Necessary

Change is always scary, especially when we’re used to things that we’re already comfortable with. I’ve learned to embrace change now for the better because if everything stays the same for a while, life will become stagnant. 

You Don’t Owe Anyone Anything

Do what’s best for YOU and prioritize your well-being.

Be Careful With Who You Trust

Some people aren’t really who you think they are.

Be Open to Trying New Things

Life’s too short not to.

Pour Love Into Everything You Do

Love is a powerful force and everything is better with it. 

Red text neon light sign
Photo by Mohammad Metri from Unsplash

Art Will Always Be Here to Comfort Me

Music, film, & all forms of art have been here for me when nothing else has. 

Crying is Okay

Let it all out. 

Follow Your Intuition

My gut feeling is almost always right. Listen to it!

Focus On What You Can Control

Sometimes things don’t go our way and are out of our control. We just have to accept this. 

Solitude is Bliss

Spending time alone with myself is actually enjoyable and freeing. 

Feel Your Feelings

You don’t have to apologize for how you really feel. You’re human. 

Forgive

Not for them, but for yourself.

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Don’t Settle 

I am deserving and worthy of happiness and love, not the bare minimum. 

You Don’t Have To Have Everything Figured Out

At this age, we are all so young and still learning about ourselves. The future is so uncertain and I still have much left to learn. 

Cheers to the start of a new decade in my life!

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.