Style > Beauty

2 of My Favorite Underrated Affordable Skincare Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Summer is finally here! Summer in California is makeup-melting hot sometimes and can really be damaging to your skin if you aren’t using the proper skin care. With that being said, let’s get into my top 2 favorite Affordable Skincare Products for glowy, dewy skin this summer! 

Her Campus / Megan Charles
My first product would most definitely be Sunscreen. I love a buildable SPF that is lightweight, soft, and loving towards your skin. You should be wearing sunscreen every day no matter what the weather conditions are, but there are a lot of sunscreens that are marketed in the media that aren’t affordable for everyday use and good product. The Eucerin Daily Hydration is one of the best sunscreens I have come across for all-day coverage. It is super lightweight, no white cast, and SPF 30 which is a good base for the start of your day. It comes on Amazon in a 2.7-ounce bottle and an 8-ounce bottle. I would personally suggest the 8-ounce bottle just because it is only $7.49 and it could last you about 2-3 months if you use it once a day. Another great sunscreen that I have been obsessed with is the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Lotion. Great consistency if you want to put makeup on top or if you want to embrace the natural glow it gives you. It comes with either SPF 30 or SPF 50 in a 3-ounce bottle. It is actually on sale right now for $9.37 on their website, so go check it out when you can! Sunscreen is one of the most crucial parts of skincare not only because of its anti-aging properties, but it is essentially the best protective shield for the sun that is easy to apply.

Burt\'s Bees
My second favorite affordable skincare product is chapstick. Very underrated, but we need to keep those lips hydrated! A lot of chapsticks actually have harmful chemicals that can make your chapped lips even more chapped. They absorb the hydration and just leave you with a chapstick addiction. You want to find a thick chapstick that keeps that hydration in and leaves your lips feeling smooth, silky, and hydrated! Additionally, chapsticks with SPF are always a bonus so your lips are also protected from the sun. Burt’s Bees Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm is one of the best out there. It is sustainably made, animal cruelty-free, and it has all-natural ingredients. Furthermore, they have tinted versions of their lip balms that I have been vying for because they are a super cute natural way to give some color to those lips while keeping them healthy and safe. On Amazon, it is only $9.47 for a 4 pack, but you could probably pick up an individual to try out wherever the nearest Walgreens or Target is. Another classic chapstick is Vaseline Rosy Lips Lip Therapy. It has such a cute little tint to it and it is made from petroleum jelly, which is one of the best materials to moisturize your lips. It keeps the moisture in and makes your lips feel and look like a dream. On Amazon, you can find a pack of 3 for $5.49.

woman standing in front of a mirror applying cream
Photo by Ekaterina Bolovtsova from Pexels
These underrated Skincare Products are easily overlooked due to their abundance. They are super easy to apply, super easy to incorporate into your routine and the best way to keep you looking glowy and feeling good for a day in the sun. Even if you’re staying home, it is extremely important to hydrate your face and hopefully, these products will help! 

Olivia Garcia

UC Riverside '24

creative writing major, lover of music, makeup, and watching new Netflix shows at least once a month
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.