13 Halloween Costumes From Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It’s that time of the year again where witches are brewing potions, pumpkins are glowing, werewolves are howling, and zombies roaring through the streets. And you’re freaking out about what to wear to a Halloween party. This year instead of dishing out money for a costume, you should look into your closet. Some items from your wardrobe could potentially be this year’s Halloween costume!

Here are costume ideas made with items that could be found in your everyday outfits.
Just have an open mind and have fun creating your costumes!

1. Lumberjack
You can also add a fake mustache to this costume for kicks!

2. Nerdy
Using the same flannel, you can create a completely different costume.

3. Clown
This is a fun costume, you just need to mismatch your outfit. The clown costume is tied together with the makeup! Here’s a makeup tutorial for inspiration : clown makeup .

4. Creepy doll
Similar to the clown costume, what makes this look is all in the makeup. Check out this tutorial for inspiration : doll makeup .

5. Tourist
Don’t pack away those summer tropical tops just yet! A tropical shirt will be the foundation for this costume. While being a tourist for the night, you should bust out that camera and capture memories of this year’s Halloween.

[pagebreak]

6. Mermaid
Your high-low skirt is the perfect item to give an illusions of a mermaid’s tail. Another great way to emphasize the mermaid look is having wavy curls and adding a starfish hair clip, which can be a fun D.I.Y. project to do with some friends!

7. Mother Nature
The Mother Nature costume is girly for the dressy gal! Also, it gives you an excuse to wear your floral crown! You can also make one with this tutorial : floral crown .

8. Cat Burglar
This costume is so chic! Plus, the burglar bag doubles as a candy bag for all the treats you will be receiving.

9. Where’s Waldo?!
You will definitely have the spotlight at any party with this costume. Everyone will be looking for you all night!

P.S. Can you find Waldo in this photo?

[pagebreak]

10. Sandy from Grease
Do you love retro fashion trends and are into musicals? If so, Sandy Olsen is the costume for you! Simply pair some high-waisted jeans with an off the shoulder top and complete your outfit with a scarf.

11. Greece Goddess
Another great costume idea for the girly girl! This costume will look fabulous with a Grecian inspired hairstyle. Here are a few tutorials for inspiration: hair tutorial 1 , hair tutorial 2 , hair tutorial 3 .

12.The Sims
This costume is effortless, but so cool! You can basically wear anything you want, you just need to add a plumbob to your outfit. Here’s a template: plumbob template and a video .

13. Who’s A?!
You are A!! This is a great idea for a group costume! You along with some friends can dress up has A (black hoodie) and assign one person to be red coat. You guys can send spooky texts to party attendees and sign –A.

Be creative and have fun!

Elizabeth Duong

UC Riverside

Hello! I am Elizabeth, a senior Neuroscience major at UC Riverside. A few things I fancy: photography, fashion, and thrift stores. Find me on other social medias: http://postcardsfromliz.blogspot.com/ and on YouTube: user - postcardsfromliz. 
UC Riverside

UC Riverside