10 Gift Ideas to Get You Through Secret Santa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

There’s a big chance that you’ll have to buy a gift for someone you may not know all that well this Christmas. We all get sucked into games of Secret Santa and White Elephant. Is it just me, or do you always seem to end up with someone you said “Hello” to twice this year? Don’t take the easy way out with a giftcard, get creative! You can still get a thoughtful gift for someone you barely know. Here are some easy gift ideas to help you think about what to get…wait, what’s her name again?

1.       Winter Beauty Products

Everyone needs winter beauty products during the colder months. Skip Bath and Body Works and try The Body Shop. They have great facial masks and moisturizers. They also have miniature sizes if you’re going for a cheaper option!

2.       Makeup Gift Bags

Never underestimate the $3 make up section in Sephora! Fill a cute makeup bag with eye shadows and glosses. This way your gift-ee gets a bunch of cute products to try out. Throw in mini nail polishes and travel sized beauty products for an extra treat.

[pagebreak]

3.       Blankets, Blankets and More Blankets!

I don’t know about you, but I cannot have enough blankets in my apartment. Stores are always having a bundle sale on fleece blankets this time of year. Check out Old Navy or Bed Bath and Beyond for good deals. Remember, the fuzzier, the better!

4.       Tea/Coffee Mugs

Tea, coffee and hot chocolate are essential for a successful holiday season. Grab a cute tea canister or a decorative tin can with teabags already inside. As an extra treat, pick out a holiday mug and stick packets of hot coco or your favorite flavored coffee inside!

[pagebreak]

5.       Polaroid Cameras

For higher priced budgets, get your gift-ee a Polaroid! They’re so much fun to use. It’s a unique gift that anyone would love to receive. Through in an extra set of instant film to last them a while!

6.       Coffee Table Books

Books are always my favorite gift to receive. Don’t exactly know their taste? Try getting them cute coffee table books with lots of pictures and DIY ideas. That way they can read them and use them for decoration!

[pagebreak]

7.       Beanies

Who doesn’t like beanies? This can easily be a guy’s gift as well! Target always has a great selection of affordable winter hats. Not enough? Try finding a set or throwing in matching gloves and scarves.

8.       DIY Projects

Don’t want to spend too much money? Make something at home! There are tons of DIY gift ideas. One of my favorites is the Instagram Journal. Don’t follow your gift-ee on IG? Try making holiday headbands or give out mugs with your favorite quotes on them. Be creative!

[pagebreak]

9.       Bag of Treats

One can never go wrong with a bag of candy! Pick out classic holiday movies from the discount bins at Target or Walmart and a cute basket. Throw in some candy, boxes of hot coco and any other holiday themed treats you can think of.

10.   If nothing else comes to mind…go ahead, get a giftcard!

Try to avoid it if you can. Don’t get me wrong, I love getting giftcards, but try to make your gifts feel thoughtful! Even if you don’t know what to get, it’s always the thought that counts!

What are some of your easy gift ideas for people you barely know? Tell us!

Raven Morris

UC Riverside

I'm a 3rd year Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside
UC Riverside

UC Riverside