10 Cheesy, But Cute, Date Night Movies For Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It’s Valentine’s Day night and both you and your man have just got back home from eating a really expensive dinner at some swanky restaurant OR from some other awesome date OR maybe you and him are already at home because he wanted to cook you a romantic dinner for a change.

Bottom line, you two are at home and Valentine’s Day is coming to the end. Why not finish the night cuddling up on the couch watching a ridiculously cheesy but cute and romantic film?

*WARNING: Your man will probably HATE the films you want to watch but since Valentine’s Day comes once a year, I’m sure he’ll suck it up, and endure any film with excessive close ups of Ryan Gosling and Channing Tatum, or cliche quotes and painfully embarrassing confessions of love.

Here are 10 cheesy but cute films you and your guy can watch together which include the classics, the comedies, and the “I-can’t-believe-this-was-actually-made-into-a-film” movies.

Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies is a symbolic movie about how love is the one thing that can never die. This film is a paranormal love story between a highly unusual zombie named R and human named Julie. In a futuristic era where the human race is on the verge of extinction, we have zombies and a few human survivors trying to make a living. While R is scavenging for food, he meets a survivor named Julie and saves her from a zombie attack. “As the two form a special relationship in their struggle for survival, R becomes increasingly more human – setting off an exciting, romantic, and often comical chain of events that begins to transform the other zombies and maybe even the whole lifeless world.”-Facebook page Warm Bodies

Simply Irresistible

In this film, a terrible New York City chef named Amanda Sheldon (Sarah Michelle Gellar) is on the verge of losing her family restaurant until one day at a Farmers market, after purchasing a basket of pinky-toe crabs, one magical crab that avoids getting cooked works wonders on her culinary skills leading her toward the man of her dreams.  This movie has a little bit of bewitched magic, a lot of love, and many mouthwatering food dishes and desserts to drool over. Who knew crustaceans could help you find true love? (Then again, there is the film The Little Mermaid). 

[pagebreak]

The Wedding Date

The Wedding Date centers around the anxiety stricken single woman Kat Ellis (Debra Messing), who returns to her parents’ London home for her younger sister’s wedding (Amy Adams). Afraid of confronting her ex-fiancé, who dumped her two years before, she hires a very in-high-demand-and-popular male escort (Dermot Mulroney) to pose as her new boyfriend. You’ll soon find she isn’t the only one keeping secrets in her family.

Tangled

When the kingdom’s most wanted-and most charming-bandit Flynn Rider hides out in a mysterious tower, he’s taken hostage by Rapunzel, a beautiful and aggressive girl with 70 feet of magical hair. In search for a way to escape the tower she has been locked up in for years, she strikes a deal with the thief and the duo set off on an “action-packed escapade, complete with a super-cop horse, an over-protective chameleon and a gruff gang of pub thugs.” This has the cutest heart-wrenching ending ever. If you love fairy tales, then you’ll definitely enjoy this movie.

[pagebreak]

500 Days of Summer

Okay so this is probably the one filrm your man will actually like watching with you! This isn’t film is NOT a love story. However, it is a story about love. This film highlights everything about what we think love is. It is a story about a young man, named Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), who falls in love with a young woman named Summer, (Zooey Deschanel), who doesn’t believe true love exists at all. Within those 500 days, Tom learns something about himself, and about love, that he never understood before.  You will either love or hate this film, (depending if you sympathize with Tom or Summer).

The Proposal

A Canadian immigrant (Sandra Bullock) who is known as the bossy b*tch in her workplace is faced with the news that she’s about to be deported back to Canada. In a moment of desperation, she rushes into a fake marriage with her young assistant (Ryan Reynolds) and threatens to fire him if he does not comply. A funny, romantic comedy which will leave you laughing because of additional actors such as Betty White or thankful you get to see Reynolds amazing, bare, ripped chest and abs.

[pagebreak]

Twilight

The film adapted from Stephanie Meyer’s book, Twilight, centers around a teenage girl named Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) who moves to Forks Washington to live with her Dad after her mother remarries and meets named Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) who she develops an interest in. However, Edward isn’t just an ordinary boy. She discovers he is a vampire and a new relationship begins.  He’s rich, kind, romantic, and very over protective. However, not all vampires approve of their new romance. Super cheesy film. Horrible screen play. But an ideal romance story. Who wouldn’t want their man to express some Edward Cullen behavior?

The Notebook

A valentine’s movie night could not be complete without a Nicholas Sparks film. The film, The Notebook, adapted from the book, is a total classic. It begins with an old man reading a romantic love story to another elderly woman. The story centers around how a lower class boy named Noah (Ryan Gosling) falls in love with an upper-class young lady Allie (Rachel McAdams) and they enjoy a wonderful summer romance. However, due to their social differences and some interference by some meddling family members, they become separated for years until they meet again years later where, Noah learns that Allie is about to marry someone else.  It’s unbelievable and almost disgusting how much bittersweet romance is packed into this film. You will cry. And everyone loves the steamy “kiss in the rain” scene and the lovemaking that follows, as well as the interesting twist that underlies the whole film from beginning to end.

[pagebreak]

When Harry Met Sally

For every girl who has ever experienced what it feels like when you realize that one special guy was “the one that got away,” this movie will either make you really sad and wish you  could go back in time or make you cherish the wonderful memories you had with that one special person. “When the two strangers, both newly graduated from the University of Chicago, share a car trip from Chicago to New York, they discuss aspects of their characters and their lives, eventually deciding it is impossible for men and women to be ‘just friends.’ They arrive in New York and go their separate ways. They meet a few years later on an airplane and Harry reveals he is married. They meet again at a bookstore a few years after that where Harry reveals he is now divorced. From that point on, the two form a friendship. Eventually their closeness results in their respective best friends meeting and falling in love with each other. At a New Year’s Eve party Harry and Sally confront the complex tangle of emotions they feel for each other.” – Rotten Tomatoes

He’s Just Not That Into You

For those moments in life when you thought that one guy was interested but you were WAY OFF, it’s okay. You can laugh about it now by watching “He’s Just Not That Into You.” This film adopted from a book is about nine different people who live in Baltimore and how their love lives, and the problems regarding them, all interconnect. However, the main star which this film revolves around is Gigi, (Ginnifer Goodwin), “a young woman who repeatedly misinterprets the behavior of her romantic partners.”  When she befriends a bar owner named Alex (Justin Long), he shows her the ins-and-outs of men’s strategies of avoiding women so that she can learn to interpret the signals. However, her cluelessness ends up backfiring on both herself and Alex which makes them both have life changing epiphanies.  

Katrina Honer

UC Riverside

Katrina is 3rd year Anthropology and Psychology double major at UC Riverside. She works as a peer mentor for freshman students and as a programs associate for the Highlander Union Building. She says "Life being what it is, it is all about going along for the ride and seeing where it takes you." She enjoys writing in her spare time and strives to write articles that not only appeal to a college environment but that also challenge cultural beliefs.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside