This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Feminism is a commonly used word, but does it reflect the true meaning of feminism? It is a political project to understand women’s inequality and oppression. For some, it stretches so far as to move beyond gender that it no longer matters. For others, it is to validate women’s experiences, interests, choices and advocate for women’s rights. The essence of feminism is equality of men and women. Equality refers to equal pay, equal chance of career progression, equal chance of acquiring a job, equal voting rights, equal voice, and the list goes on. It is to be treated equally politically, legally, socially and economically. 

I am a feminist but asking a man for help in lifting a heavy object does not go ‘against’ feminism. It is important to understand that men and women have different capabilities and different biology. Feminism is fighting for this equality, acknowledging the differences of men and women. We are not asking for men to breastfeed babies. Feminism fights for ‘equal’ rights and not ‘same’ rights. Equality in the workplace means considering all factors specific to men and women when providing growth opportunities. It is acknowledging that a man, who has no caring responsibilities, had more chargeable hours of work than a mother of two who just returned from maternity leave. This is equality—acknowledging that women get periods, women have babies and women have caring responsibilities. 

Anger, an expression shared by many feminists, is a legitimate response to the oppression we have been subject to for centuries. We continue to be subject to violence and abuse at home and in the workplace. 

I would like to make it very clear that feminists do not hate men. There is a stigma of “man-hating” attached to the term feminism. Feminists do not hate men, they hate the systems of oppression and inequality. I am quite capable of loving a man and I do see myself someday being married to one. Being a feminist means, I want to get married because I want to for reasons which do not include financial security. Marriage is historically tied to patriarchal traditions with a woman taking on her husband’s name and being “given away” by her father. These traditions are contradictory to feminist beliefs. 

Being a feminist does not mean you have to stop shaving. I am a feminist and I still shave, not because some man in my life wants me to, or because that is what society expects of me, but because I choose to shave for personal reasons. 

A feminist belief can be held by anyone, regardless of gender. A feminist is someone who acknowledges the inequality and oppression faced by women and advocates for equality and women’s rights.  

Feminism is not related to the choices we make, but simply having the choice. It is having the choice to run for president, it is having the choice to wear what we want to, the choice to marry if, when and to whom we want to. 

Feminists are currently facing two challenges. The primary one being the cause of feminism, fighting for gender equality. The second is to spread awareness of what feminism truly is. Feminists are not ‘man haters’ we do not all have to stop shaving or wearing bras to advocate for equal rights. 

According to the UN, the gender gap will not close for another 100 years. We can all act now: at university, at the workplace or even at home. For women out there with interests outside the female-dominated fields, dare to dream bigger and step outside gender norms. Do not be afraid to chase your dream of becoming an astronaut or construction worker. For women already in the workplace, actively push for promotions and seek out opportunities. Do not undervalue yourself for having taken maternity leave twice in the past few years. This does not mean you deserve less than your other male colleagues who did not take maternity leave. You have a job outside work – after all, if not for women, how will we continue to re-populate the earth? When at home, seek out to change the light bulb or attempt that repair job instead of waiting for your father, brother or partner to do it. Learn to change the tire and then change it yourself. 

I am a law graduate, currently studying for my Master's in International Public Policy in UK. I am particularly interested in Human rights and feminist political theory. I enjoy writing about controversial topics and information pieces that spread awareness on a range of topics including racism, sexism, sexual violence and cultural issues.
Zahra Hasnain

UC London '22

Born in Pakistan and living in London, I am a BA Comparative Literature student at UCL with a particular interest in philosophy, fashion and food! I strongly believe identity goes far beyond culture and circumstance, it is an amalgamation of our actions, the things we love and the people we choose to be. I am proud to be President and Editor in Chief of this year's Her Campus issue and am excited to showcase an authentic and empowered female experience.