Life > Experiences

THE ‘PREGNANCY JOURNEY’: WHAT SOCIAL MEDIA DOESN’T TELL YOU 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

‘Pregnancy journey’: The infamous phrase coined by social media influencers across the globe. From glamorous maternity photo shoots, sumptuous baby showers, to Kylie Jenner-style pregnancy documentaries, it begs the question: what are the less attractive aspects of carrying a three-to-nine-pound human in your ever-growing belly? 

1)      Mental health 

You could argue that mental health awareness has made its mark in the social media world over the past decade. However, when it comes to pregnancy there are persisting grey areas in the knowledge of associated psychological disorders. Such disorders can take the form of depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, tokophobia (fear of childbirth) and body dysmorphia. 

Here are some NHS-recommended support services: 

·       Tommy’s: mental health before, during and after pregnancy. Call: 0800 014 7800 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, for free. Email: midwife@tommys.org, https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information

·       Mind: postnatal depression and perinatal mental health. Call: 0300 123 3393. Email: info@mind.org, https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/postnatal-depression-and-perinatal-mental-health/about-maternal-mental-health-problems/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8dPFtuCrggMVVJuDBx3VGw0cEAAYASAAEgJx4fD_BwE

·       NICE: Antenatal and postnatal mental health: clinical management and service guidance has some question ideas which might help you talk to your GP or midwife, https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/conditions-and-diseases/fertility–pregnancy-and-childbirth/pregnancy

2)      Hair loss 

Pregnancy symptoms may also present themselves in the form of scalp disorders resulting in thinning hair and bold patches. While this may not be a significant occurrence in all pregnancies, it is a lived, highly discomforting experience for some pregnant women. Although further research is underway to better explain the science behind this disorder, there is enough evidence to point the finger at ‘hormone levels’ and/or lack thereof during this period. 

The good news is scientists believe that therapy in the form of Nourkrin® with Marilex® from Pharma Medico could be an effective fix to bring back a self-empowered and self-controlled feeling we all desire. 

3)      Back pain 

Back and pelvic pain are highly common symptoms during pregnancy. Intriguingly, a study carried out by R. Bondì and colleagues has linked pregnancy with male foetuses to increased occurrences of lower back pain. Nonetheless, the pain stems from your ever-stretching body and its ligaments in preparation for labour. This naturally adds stress to the lower back and pelvic region, ultimately causing back pain. 

The NHS has some useful tips to combat that menacing pain experienced by so many during this time: 

·       Avoid lifting heavy objects 

·       Move your feet when you turn (so you don’t twist your spine!) 

·       Wear flat shoes and avoid heels (so your weight is evenly distributed) 

·       Have a massage and a warm bath (as Chandler Bing puts it, you’ve “had a long, hard day”

4)      Sex drive 

Though it is generally safe to have sex during pregnancy (and sometimes even encouraged by medical professionals), some pregnant women struggle to maintain their drive and overall desire for sex. This can be uncomfortable for both you and your partner as the ‘pregnancy journey’ can last for at least three-quarters of a year (yes, that’s a long time!). 

Fortunately, there is a way to manoeuvre this dilemma. It is recommended to talk about this with your sexual partner and potentially find ways to make the both of you feel more comfortable. While exploring and experimenting together, you may find that, for instance, sex on top may no longer be enjoyable due to tender breasts and penetration that is too deep may likewise feel unpleasant. 

5)      Insomnia 

Sleep disturbances can arise at any point during pregnancy and the causes could range from anxiety, mood and breathing disorders as well as a condition called “restless legs syndrome.” Interrupted sleep can have adverse effects on health, quality of life and pregnancy outcomes. A study at the University of California, San Francisco found that women who slept for less than six hours had a higher chance of prolonged labour and those with less than four hours to show, were more likely to undergo a caesarean. 

Thankfully, we have access to interventions such as sleep education, behavioural therapy, and hypnotics to help manage pregnancy-related insomnia. 

Women are incredible beings and pregnant women are without a doubt no exception. The act of carrying new life in our bodies and supplying it with all its nutritional and emotional needs is an honour that even the bravest Marvel superheroes are yet to claim. There is however, far more to the ‘pregnancy journey’ than your aesthetically pleasing maternity feed on Instagram may show you, and it’s important to only join the said journey while being fully informed on the good, the bad and the very (very) ugly. 

  

References 

Mental health problems and pregnancy – NHS (www.nhs.uk) 

Pregnancy and the hair growth cycle: anagen induction against hair growth disruption using Nourkrin® with Marilex®, a proteoglycan replacement therapy – Thom – 2017 – Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology – Wiley Online Library 

Patient-oriented assessment of back pain in pregnancy – PMC (nih.gov) 

Back pain in pregnancy – NHS (www.nhs.uk) 

Sex in pregnancy – NHS (www.nhs.uk) 

Insomnia during pregnancy: Diagnosis and Rational Interventions – PMC (nih.gov) 

Hi there, Welcome to my profile :) Education-wise, I have a BSc in Biomedical Sciences and an MSc in Disease & Therapy. I currently work full-time as a healthcare administrator and I am also an experienced health writer. I am particularly passionate about topics pertaining to women's health - I desire to educate and inspire women and people of all ages through my words :)