Stop watching Netflix! Here listed are 10 podcast series you can listen to instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Hello readers,

With the isolating and self-isolating restriction in numerous countries around the world due to Covid-19 and limited access to friends, family and extra activities, such as gym or swimming pool, it can be really hard to cope with hours and hours spent in your room.

Netflix is surely the most popular way to spend some time or skype with family and friends, however, starring at a screen for long periods can be tiring for the eyes.

Here, I am proposing 10 podcasts, from true crime (my favourite) to comedy, that has been voted by Elle magazine readers.

Best interview podcast:

1. Awards Chatter (THR)

Frequency: Weekly Average time: One hour

Awards Chatter is your go-to for revealing, in-depth conversations with some of the most accomplished people in entertainment. Hosted by Scott Feinberg, his thorough approach to research elicits sincere engagement and enthusiasm from guests. Posing thoughtful yet tough questions, each episode is packed with quality insights that your average interview wouldn’t scratch the surface of. A nirvana for cinema fans, the informal interview style of this podcast makes for an easy yet interesting listen. Better still, there’s no shortage of star power, with past guests including Julia Roberts, George Clooney and Shia LaBeouf.

1. Table with Jessie Ware

The brief: Dinner table discussions Frequency: Every Wednesday Average time: 50 minutes

Laugh and listen your way through this podcast which gives an update to the standard interview format, joining dinner and discussion. Hosted by Jessie Ware from the comfort of her own dinner table, Table Manners has the feel of a cosy catch up rather than formulaic interview. With Ware’s mother Lennie in charge of cooking each week, listen in as the pair talk through their guest’s life, loves and vitally, favourite foods. With past guests including Antoni Porowski and Charlotte Tilbury MBE, nothing is off the menu on this podcast. Table Manners is served.

1. Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness

The brief: Cosy chats with our favourite feel good qween Frequency: Every Wednesday Average time: Roughly 50 minutes each.

If you’re left feeling like you haven’t had your full JVN fix after finishing the latest series of Queer Eye, fear not. We have the solution. A weekly podcast exploring just about everything and anything, in each episode Jonathon speaks to a different expert, talking through themes that span LGBTQ laws, to kittens. Bringing the same honest yet optimistic outlook that we have come to love him for to each episode, this series is the perfect way to learn something more about a whole host of issues in a digestible yet intelligent way. You’ll come for JVN but stay for genuine insights.

Best podcast for learning something new:

1. You’re dead to me

The brief: History meets comedy Frequency: Weekly Average time: 45 minutes

Whether or not you can remember what happened in 1066, You’re Dead to Me is the podcast making history accessible for the masses. Self-described as ‘history for people who don’t like history,’ in this podcast Greg Jenner of Horrible Histories is joined by an expert historian and quick-witted comedian. Taking on a new historical period or figure each week, the panel talk through the facts and misconceptions of a topic, from Stonehenge to LGBTQ+ history. Though it might not sound like the most obvious choice for a podcast listen, you will no doubt find yourself coming back for more, with past guests including Shappi Khorsandi and Sara Pascoe. Just one listen to the history of football episode and you’ll come away feeling ready to resit your old GCSE exam.

1. Revisionist History

The brief: Intricate deep dives into things of the past Frequency: Four seasons, 10 or 11 episodes each Average time: 40 minutes

Described in his own words as a ‘podcast about things overlooked and misunderstood’, Revisionist History is a series by author Malcolm Gladwell that prompts listeners to reconsider their initial understanding of events, people and concepts. Taking a closer look into everything from a famous painting to a basketball player’s technique, Gladwell’s insightful storytelling makes for an engaging podcast from which you’ll gain a new perspective on something you thought was finite.

Best culture podcast:

1. Your Broccoli Weekly

The brief: Engaging, easy to digest news Frequency: Every Sunday Average time: 50 minutes

Staying in the loop has never been simpler than it is with Your Broccoli Weekly. In this new podcast, host Diyora Shadijanova selects three major stories from the week and breaks them down into digestible, insightful listen. Balancing facts with varied viewpoints, Your Broccoli Weekly tackles core issues that are often overlooked or avoided head on. Informative and engaging, this podcast provides a much needed fresh look at the state of British culture and politics. To get an idea of what you can expect in the weeks to come, give the 2019 round-up episode a listen.

1. The Guilty Feminist

The brief: Validation you’re not a “bad” feminist Frequency: Twice a week, often Mondays and Wednesdays Average time: 50 to 70 minutes

Helping to make feminism more accessible for the masses, The Guilty Feminist is the perfect non-preachy format to better understand what being a feminist in the 21st century means. If you’ve ever found yourself feeling like a ‘bad’ feminist, this podcast will help you put that to rest. Tackling issues that can at times be difficult to talk about, host Deborah Frances-White perfectly balances discussion around important contemporary problems with comedy and lightness. Examining topics that range from sex workers’ rights to women in music, no topics are off limits in The Guilty Feminist. Prepare to join a tribe of inspiring, motivating and moving women.

Best true crime podcasts:

1. The Dating Game Killer

The brief: The notorious serial killer you’ve never heard of Frequency: Six part series Average run time: 45 minutes

On 18th September 1978, viewers across the US tuned in to watch the popular TV show The Dating Game. But unbeknownst to them, bachelor number one was a diagnosed sociopath and serial killer. With perfectly coiffed dark hair, enormous lapels and an air of complete self-assurance, his sharp quips and charisma made him a crowd favourite. No one would possibly suspect that this man was one of the US’s most notorious killers, committing crimes with multiple victims over a period of 11 years. This thrilling true-crime podcast explores how the ‘Dating Game Killer’ managed to evade authorities for so long and how his appearance on the show eventually led to his downfall. With vivid storytelling, this series is sure to be your next binge-listen.

1. The Dropout

The brief: An exploration of the lies that built the youngest self-made female billionaire Frequency: Six episode series Average time: 45 minutes

This podcast follows the unprecedented rise and eventual fall of Elizabeth Holmes, a Stanford dropout hailed as “the next Steve Jobs”. Once the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire and CEO of a revolutionary blood testing startup valued at $9 billion, The Dropout unravels evidence from a three-year investigation into Holmes’ disturbing track record of fabrication, deceit and betrayal. Hosted by Rebecca Jarvis, Holmes’ story is told through a compilation of interviews with former patients, employees, investors and even her own testimony. Risking the welfare of potentially millions of patients, in this podcast we are shown the distressing extent to which one woman was willing to go in order to chase fame and ambition. Make sure you’re up to speed on the case ahead of Holmes’ scheduled 2020 trial.

1. To Live and Die in LA

The brief: Real life Hollywood mystery with no shortage of twists and turns Frequency: 12 episode series Average time: 30 minutes

In 2018, aspiring actress Adea Shabani disappeared from her Hollywood apartment. So what happened? Having moved to L.A. from Macedonia to make a name for herself, at just 25-years-old, Shabani had everything ahead of her. In this gripping series, Rolling Stone journalist Neil Strauss follows the case as it unfolds, as told through jarring first-hand accounts, clips and evidence. Drawing together details from this multi-state investigation, you will find yourself compulsively listening to this violent, intricate game of cat-and-mouse. Just when you think you’ve got it figured out, another twist hits.

I want to add one more, because it has been in the news in the past year and I think it provides great insights into Epstein’s sex-offenders network.

Truth and Lies: Jeffry Epstein

The brief: Giving voices to the women who survived his crimes Frequency: Eight episode series Average time: Roughly 45 minutes

We all know the end of the story, but how did financier Jeffrey Epstein get away with his repeated abuse of young women for so long? This podcast uncovers the sex offender’s far-reaching network of underage girls and the horrific acts that resulted in dozens of victims spanning across multiple states. Tracking Epstein’s sexual abuse back to 2005 when investigators first began unraveling his dark past, this podcast tells the stories of the women who lived through it, as well as lawyers and investigators who sought to bring Epstein to justice.

I feel incredibly proud and privileged to be part of the first-ever Her Campus Community Correspondent team as Senior Editor at UCL as a Global Governance and Ethics master student. My decision to be part of this team arises from my work and academic experiences with vulnerable individuals and, in particular, with women. My interests and aims are particularly focused on spreading awareness and educating about global issues, such as human rights and social (in)justice, and the role of women in these matters.
Peaches was the first ever Her Campus Community Correspondent at the University College London Chapter. She became involved in Her Campus as she is passionate about the empowerment of women as well as raising awareness of the inequalities and prejudices women face in their day to day lives.