This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Skincare has become incredibly popular lately. A lot of skincare content has been posted on social media and many beauty gurus have moved their focus from make-up to skincare. Also, new brands and new techniques are coming up on the market, for example, Kylie Skin by Kylie Jenner or Florence by Millie Bobby Brown.

But is it just a trend of the moment or is there a real reason behind it all?

If you think about it, skincare is a fairly new topic for the media. Just two years ago, the beauty community was mainly interested in make-up. But gradually, people have been learning everything about skincare.

Skincare has indeed a very interesting background, dating back to the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans, who created their products using items they could collect from nature. Today’s brands are trying to replicate that idea and tend to draw inspiration from what nature has to offer. Just to name a few: aloe vera, green tea, witch hazel, coconut oil, and the list goes on and on- what is shared in common amongst them all is that  each of them can really make your skin look healthy and gorgeous!

If you want your skincare routine to work, keep an eye out for… chemistry! Each chemical element is targeted for a certain need of our skin. When looking for your next acne treatment, for example, try out retinoids. Retinoids derive from vitamin A and regulate skin turnover, which helps with the replacement of old dead cells on the surface of the skin. By keeping the pores unclogged, they help with fading dark spots and treat acne. Oh, and it goes without saying that a quality skincare product will be paraben-free and dermatologist tested!

Also, I think is important to understand that skin care products and, more generally, skincare routine are also about self-love. Committing to a routine for five minutes in the morning and five in the evening is a great gift you can give yourself every day. There’s nothing else except you, your body, nourishing oils, and creams. It definitely influences one’s self-esteem and it’s a reminder that our bodies are beautiful. It is about shutting the world out for 10 minutes a day and feeling confident and beautiful. There is nothing but you, the mirror and the products you have chosen for yourself.

Furthermore, it is important to not forget to keep it simple! Using too many products can have the opposite effect and oppress our skin. Also, you might not have time for too many steps, or just be too tired in the evening. Stick to the products you really need and appreciate, and you’ll see the results.

To wrap it up, skincare can be beneficial in many different ways. If you love skincare or you just want to find out more about it, then definitely stay tuned!

Maria D'Aniello

UC London '21

BA Comparative Literature at UCL
Peaches was the first ever Her Campus Community Correspondent at the University College London Chapter. She became involved in Her Campus as she is passionate about the empowerment of women as well as raising awareness of the inequalities and prejudices women face in their day to day lives.