This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

For many of us, representation on the big screen is somewhat artificial and does not truly capture the realities we share.However, Rocks artfully illuminates the tragic experiences and strengths of friendship and follows the story of a teenage girl’s family breaking down. The careful portrayal of contemporary issues such as Black British culture, mental health, poverty, the British foster system, second generation immigration and racism provides a sobering glimpse into shared experiences and the lack of strong support structures for girls like Rocks—the eponymous character of the film. 

The plot follows ‘Rocks’ Shola, a British Nigerian girl who lives in a council flat with her depressed mother and younger brother Emmanuel.When her mum suddenly disappears and leaves a note behind, Rocks attempts to live life normally. Soon, the money left by her mum is spent and Rocks becomes worried about the involvement of social services who will split her family up. The film follows this emotional journey and highlights  a shared reality among many girls today.

Rocks is a confident and talented make-up artist is multifaceted,the life of the party.But she is able to quickly switch into big sister mode by preparing meals for her younger brother and getting him ready, showing us how Rocks has a heavier burden than most kids her own age. Although this may inspire empathy and sympathy, it also leads us to question: what are the current support systems in place for people like Rocks? Are they effective? Even so, much like Rocks, some of us may have risen to the role of second or third parent at times and it was refreshing to see this representation acknowledged, with the director poignantly capturing how Rocks must rely on herself and is stronger than many of us can imagine.

Not only is the cast diverse, but they are also first-time actresses who improvised many friendship scenes, indicating a strong chemistry which is perfectly captured in the shots ranging from selfies to videos infusing the film with a sense of reality. The film was written by Nigerian-British playwright Theresa Ikoko and directed by Sarah Gavron who made Brick Lane (2007), and their intention to create a realistic yet moving portrayal of a Black British teenager’s life and the strength of strong friendship is admirable. This film also gave us much needed representation of the disproportionate effects of poverty and lack of support for Black children. The director ensured that the film-making process was as non-hierarchical as possible, travelling to youth clubs to hear experiences from teenagers and choosing the starring actresses there. This approach ensured authenticity and illuminated a hidden vulnerability that isn’t always visible in teenage films.

The diversity and infusion of references to African, Somali, and Islamic cultures further captured the intersecting identities of the girls and allowed many of us to be reminded of our own high school pasts. The infectious giggles of the friendship group and the way each friend rallied for each other captured the true strength of female friendship, which proved to be a real shield for Rocks when she was struggling to cope with her mum’s continued absence. The focus on having to grow up quickly to deal with the sudden upheaval of family life is a refreshing topic to see onscreen, and moves away from the tired trope of teenage films about boyfriends,popularity and other cliches. Ikoko’s own personal experiences inspired her to write Rocks as a homage to her older sister in recognition of her sacrificing her youth to care for her younger sibling. The selflessness of each of the girls in the film highlights just how much friendship during teenage years can be a lifeline, evoking our empathy and tears. 

How many movies often have a trio of friends with the token black character? Far too many! What makes Rocks stand apart from other films is the increased reflection of today’s population makeup; among the main friendship group, the characters are ethnic minorities from Somalia,Bangladesh and Nigeria, reflecting the diverse and multicultural London the film is set in. 

While the genre of Rocks is a social realist drama, its infectious portrayal of wholesome and healthy friendship is a source of comfort and happiness despite the plight facing Rocks, which shows how friendships can provide refuge from the hardships of life. 

While I don’t want to spoil the ending, I will just say the conclusion was heart-breaking and crushing but ultimately realistic. Overall, tears flowed, I laughed and I learnt a lot about the strength of female friendship and cherished my friends more.