This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

I read Poor the first time without stopping and the second with deep gulping pauses and a rawness cutting through me. Femi’s writing is spectacular. His lyricism and candor carries you through the turbulence of growing up on the North Peckham estate. 

That’s what it feels like to be Black here: like you’re dead & alive at the same time

— Schrodinger’s black 

In this collection of poetry and photography, Femi grieves, celebrates, and pays homage to the environment that shaped his upbringing, unafraid to tackle the slow gentrification of South London and its impact on black working class residents. 

When hipsters take selfies 

on the corners where our

friends died, the rent goes up. 

— On Magic / Violence 

Where British media is silent and cautious, Poor gushes with a polyphony of voices that drag the racist legacy of this country into the light. By capturing his experiences in his own language, Femi rewrites a narrative that has often been ignored or defamed by the mainstream. 

That in this chapter of British violence

the nation shivers

with its face hidden

when questions are asked:

of the dead: aren’t you satisfied?

of the living: aren’t you grateful?

— The Six

Every inch of my copy is littered with comments, scribbles, and rabid underlining. This collection is colossal, a monument to life as a young black boy in South London. Here, the subjects of Femi’s poetry and photography are nurtured and preserved. 

Breathe in

chaos, & breathe out my soft limbs

— Concrete (V):

Second Anniversary 

I struggle to know what I need to say about these poems—they speak for themselves. All I want to do is take the book and press it into every open hand that will listen. 

We browse through the catalogues of anarchy, 

underline moments in history, and conclude

that everybody wants to go home.

— Gentle Youth 

Gang signs or prayers – 

what one cannot solve the other surely will.

My fingers are bilingual like that. 

— Survivor’s Guilt, or Anikulapo

There are moments that I can’t quite let go of: 

I am a museum of all

the ghosts I could have been.

— Survivor’s Guilt, or Anikulapo

That’s it, that’s everything I have,

build me a looping dream of 

October’s quenching tongue

— Ode to South Ldn Gyaldem

Others where the grief is so palpable I could spend days wrestling with the words: 

that night we went to chew on the pitchfork of war

so that our grief as if it were a rotting tooth

would be plucked out

— Concrete (III)

You will question if you have always been

an empty cove waiting to be filled by another boy’s rage

— East Dulwich Road 

And one of my favourite opening lines from a poem:

A light crawls through the window and folds in on itself

to kneel beside a boy at prayer in a South London police cell. 

— Two Bodies Caught in One Cell

In Poor, Caleb Femi manages to write about a collective in the most intimate way, and he leaves us with this final impression – where there is brutality and loss, there is also found family and tender love for community. I am very much in the grasp of this collection and will always return to it. 

Alaa Majed

UC London '22

BA Comparative Literature ٠ Senior Editor By day, I’m usually found sitting by a window, liner smudged from crying over grammar and by night, I write poetry with a fury.