Cheering Games Stand_Bleachers
Cheering Games Stand_Bleachers
Yash Tulsiani / Spoon

Reasons Why You Should Watch Formula 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

With 1.922 billion people watching it and exotic locations like Baku, Monza, Monaco, Portugal and many others, Formula 1 is one of the most exciting sports. Unfortunately the following and the information known by the masses is substantially  less compared to other sports like Soccer. Here are nine reasons why you should watch Formula 1:

1. The cars are beautiful. Science, research and development are the pillars on which any F1 car stands. From aerodynamics to tire friction, everything is aimed at providing the driver with the fastest speed possible. Even the exterior of the car is shaped like an arrow to prevent the car from flying off the curb. If the design and the logic behind the outcome exhilarate you or if you are a motor geek, Formula 1 is for you.

2. The speed is exhilarating. The normal speed at which a car is driven can be anywhere between 250 to 300 km/hr on a straight path and 150 to 170 km/hr while taking turns. The pump of adrenaline is REAL and will literally push you to the edge of your seat. This your opportunity to literally fly without wings and feel the speed pulse your veins.

3. The action associated with any race surpasses any Fast and Furious movie. The strategy, even though it seems insignificant from the outside, is great in reality. The drivers need to have the track memorized. A single wrong turn and the whole race is over for them. Imagine risking your whole life! The constant cat and mouse game  is real with the constant attempt to overtake one another. Even though the accidents are not a pretty sight, they will make you feel emotionally invested in the sport.

4. Keeping the drama associated with the car aside, there are very palpable inter-team and intra-team rivalries. Teams jockeying for players, then going and favouring one driver over the other,  coupled with controversial radio messages, are all a part of the sport. It can be between the team-members, a driver and a mechanic or even the driver and the Team Principal. If you like the drama in Game of Thrones,  trust me you will not be disappointed.

5. Formula 1 puts meaning to the word ‘globalization’. Even though the locations, drivers and companies are from all over the world, this sport shows you that there can be healthy competition between them. For example Sebastain Vettel, a German, drives for Ferrari, an Italian company, and one of the circuits is in Canada. 

6. The social media coverage is insane. Follow all the drivers and their teams to get an insight into the lives of these athletes and feel closer to them.

7. The drivers are VERY good looking. Maybe  it’ll be worth following the races for the eye candy! 

8. The prize distribution ceremony. All the popping of the champagne and showering them on each other is a classic F1 ritual. And guess what? It happens after every race! If you ask me, this takes the whole event to another level.

9. The race happens on Sundays. So if you get a rain check for a night out or a date at the last minute, enjoy your day with an F1 race and some takeout!

Nishtha Saraf

UC London '24

I am studying History with a year abroad at University College London. I am a foodie who likes travelling, reading, playing soccer and watching Formula 1.
Zahra Hasnain

UC London '22

Born in Pakistan and living in London, I am a BA Comparative Literature student at UCL with a particular interest in philosophy, fashion and food! I strongly believe identity goes far beyond culture and circumstance, it is an amalgamation of our actions, the things we love and the people we choose to be. I am proud to be President and Editor in Chief of this year's Her Campus issue and am excited to showcase an authentic and empowered female experience.