This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

In times like these it’s hard to feel the usual festive cheer. Shops are shut, bars are barren and the theatre feels almost mythical. The concrete streets, normally alive with bustling activity, feel colder than ever. Yes – in times like these, it is hard to feel the usual festive cheer. Yet, the falling of the final autumn leaves marks the beginning of the festive season. A time for hope, a time for joy, a time for family and friends: all things we could do with right now. 

Below are ‘Five Fabulously Festive Frolics to Beat Lockdown Blues’ – a list of lockdown-approved activities to enjoy at the beginning of the festive season.  

Fall in Love with Falling Leaves

As Autumn draws to a close and Winter is being ushered in, use this brief window of time to explore the outdoors. Feel your stress melt away through misty morning walks or gain some perspective as you wander through the London parks at dusk. Walking is a wonderful way to take a (sometimes much needed) step back from the hustle and bustle of daily life and enjoy a moment of freedom with just your own thoughts. Some prefer mediation, some prefer yoga, but given the current circumstances, a walk outside has the added bonus of getting you outside. Sometimes all we need is a change of scenery and time to think everything through. 

Christmas is a Time for Giving

As we head deeper into November, we could all do with a little festive cheer! Use the extra time we may find at hand to put some more thought into holiday gifts for friends and loved ones. From online shopping to home-baked goods – the possibilities are endless! I for one am counting down the days for when it’s “acceptable” to break out the mulled wine and ‘Rudolph the Reindeer’ cookie recipes…not too long now. Spending a little extra time mulling over gifts of Christmases-to-come will inject some early festive joy to your life and ensure that the season marks not only the reunion of beloved friends and family but the added elation of knowing you’ve got them something truly special. I think we can agree that this is something we are all looking forward to.

Twirl and Laugh under Twinkling Lights

As ridiculous as it sounds, the approach of advent brings one thing (other than beloved chocolate calendars) – the promise of Christmas music! Spend some time decorating your home – I’m talking tinsel, baubles, light-up reindeers and fairy-lights – to get you truly in the festive spirit. Once this is done, turn up the radio or plug your phone in and begin the onslaught of cheesy-Christmassy wonder that constitutes the hit songs. From Wham! and Mariah Carey to Band Aid, The Pogues and Slade (not to forget the classic carols of course) – lighten your spirits with a carefree and light-hearted dance around the living room, remembering the joy and wonder that is the festive season.

Warm Your Hands and Heart with a Hot Chocolate

This is a well-documented fact – chocolate soothes all ailments. As long as we are limited to only seeing one person outside our household, and the unpredictability of English weather, use this opportunity to treat your chosen companion to a warm hot chocolate over a walk and talk. ‘Making the most of a difficult situation’ has been the mantra of the year and as we head towards the festive season, this shows little signs of changing. So, as you stroll through London’s prettiest spots, forget your blues over a cup of warm hot chocolate and enjoy the company at present. I promise, nothing warms the hands and heart quite like hot chocolate in weather and times like these.

Soothe Your Soul with the Thought of Friends and Family

As the days grow shorter and nights grow darker, the illumination of lights marks something truly merry: the countdown to Christmas has officially begun! With this countdown, use each day you mark off to remember what it is that makes the festive season so magical – time together with loved ones. Recall fond memories, reconnect with distant friends and reconcile yourself with the fact that, whilst this year has been far from perfect, there is still so much to be grateful for. Comfort yourself with the thought that soon enough there will be no need for Teams or Zoom as friends and family will be right there beside you. 

As we near the end of this lockdown – and indeed this year – wave goodbye to the harsh lessons of lockdown but remember what this year has taught us. Life is for living and life is for loving – use this season to mark a change in yourself. Make plans with friends, carve-out time for family and make a commitment to doing those things you’ve always wanted to. This season, share in the joy and spread the cheer as we appreciate the smaller, simpler things in life, something a little as sitting down to a meal with family – it truly is the season to be merry.

I study Comparative Literature with Spanish at University College London. In my spare time I enjoy reading, playing sports and exploring London.
Amal Malik

UC London '22

President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus UC London. Student of BA Comparative Literature. From ??/ ??