Get Into The Spirit: 5 Unique Experiences To Make The Most Of London At Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

With Christmas fast approaching, we all feel the need to let go of the thought of our winter deadlines and get into a more festive mood. And London, of course, is a constant source of opportunities to make you feel like a child again, embracing the spirit to the fullest, from the astonishing Christmas lights on Regent Street to the unmissable (and very crowded) Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park.

However, it doesn’t end there: the grandeur of London town expresses itself in many unique ways, and we’re here to suggest a few to really experience something out of the ordinary. Here is a list of some really cool festive outings in London:

The Gun, Spitalfields

A long-established hip pub in the heart of East London. This year The Gun is going all out with its festive attire: space is equipped with a full-fledged, life-sized gingerbread house, where you can sit and have a sip of your pint or a nice cocktail. If you really want to feel like you’ve ended up in a different world, this is the place to go.

Coppa Club igloos

A personal favourite of all Londoners, Coppa Club puts up a full set of outdoor heated igloos on the Thames embankment for the winter season. Not only you can sit with cosy blankets and eat reasonably priced, reasonably tasty food, but you’ll also enjoy an amazing view of the river and the Tower Bridge just a few yards away. Definitely worth a go, but make sure to book well in advance, as the request is very high! 

Backyard Cinema winter setup

Another London staple, the Backyard cinema in South London gets a revamp every season, and for winter it boasts the Snow Kingdom and a Winter Garden: venture through a wardrobe and discover a Narnia made of snowy trees, Christmas cinema masterpieces and endless food and drink choices. Booking in advance absolutely necessary, but it will be completely worth it once you find yourself in this Christmassy heaven. 

Winterland Fulham

If you’re in for a massive treat, Winterland Fulham has equipped itself with proper winter hot tubs to splash into on the Thames embankment. While not the cheapest of experiences (a 45-minute session for 6 people will add up to 25 pounds per head), it’s definitely worth it if you’re in need of an escape to a Swiss mountain lodge, without having to get out of town. Other cheaper choices, equally nice, include cozy winter cabins, fur sofas under a pergola, and privately enclosed full winter lodges. Perfect if you want to feel the alpine vibe. 

Sing Christmas carols around town

Carols are a must of the festive season, and there are multiple ways you can not only enjoy them but also jump on the bandwagon and get involved in first person! Moreover, the venues are among the most beautiful you can visit in the city. You can sing under the Christmas tree at Trafalgar Square, or take part in the events at the historic St Paul’s Cathedral and St-Martin-in-the-Fields, a millennium-old church just off Trafalgar Square which hosts some of the most iconic classical music concerts in London. Absolutely unmissable is also the Royal Albert Hall, the prime concert hall in the city.

If you have not had enough, here some more info about the venues:

https://www.stpauls.co.uk/

https://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/whats-on/

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/series/christmas-at-the-royal-albert-hall

We all feel can let go of the thought of our winter deadlines and get into a more festive mood in London! Especially with the help of my list of some really cool festive outings in London., 

Marta Biino

UC London '20

Italian born and bred, 22. Originally an “American dream” kind of teenager, then decided to study Russian at uni, things in my head are now confused, but my outlook on the world definitely broader. Bookworm with a focus on novels. Foodie with a focus on cheap eats and healthy stuff. Art lover with a focus on contemporary.