Enola Holmes Movie Poster
Enola Holmes Movie Poster
Legendary Pictures

Enola Holmes: The One You Didn’t See Coming!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

We all know that Sherlock Holmes is probably one of the best detectives in the literary and cinematic world, but could you imagine his own sister beating him at his game? No way –right? Well, I thought the same as well until Enola Holmes proved us all wrong. She is Sherlock’s sister but more than that, she is a woman who believes in who she is and is rather dauntless and unapologetic about it. With a sharp and swift mind, Enola will definitely sweep you off your feet. Here are a few reasons why you should watch Enola Holmes, now streaming on Netflix:

1.  Enola’s mother did not bring her up to be a stereotypical Victorian woman. She is well-read, trained in ‘jiu-jitsu’ and self defense, but most of all, she is taught to think for herself – not just to crochet or be civilized. Having beliefs or intellect far from that of a ‘normal’ girl her age, Enola is a breath of fresh air. Her character is so strong that she gives both her brothers, Mycroft and Sherlock, as well as the Marquee, characters with traits that juxtapose her own, a run for their money!

2. Actors Millie Bobby Brown (Enola) and Helena Bonham Carter (the Mother) make an excellent pair. Together, they bring out the dynamism of their characters. Brown even said in an interview with The Philippines Press that this is the “masterpiece” of her life. As a viewer, I would strongly agree even though her performance in Stranger Things is a close second. If you are a Sherlock fan and have seen Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes, you may have doubts about whether a new actor will be able to do the character justice. Well, rest assured Henry Cavill brings out a new yet unexpected emotional side to our dear-old Sherlock rather satisfactorily. 

3.  Millie Bobby Brown should be a whole reason herself for you to watch this movie. Her competence as an actor shines through as she does her own stunts and breaks the fourth wall. Since The ‘Fourth Wall’ is from the perspective of the protagonist, it engages the audience. Previously seen in Deadpool and Fleabag, it is definitely not an easy technique to master but Brown seems to do it effortlessly. The direction intensifies everything on screen from Enola’s perspective, which engages the audience as they see how her mind is working, while also reminding them of the way Sherlock was directed. 

4.  Even though there is a spark of romance between Enola and the Marquee, it’s not overbearing. Enola is a character who believes that if she does not need the boy, it’s better to make do without him. She is independent and confident enough to ascertain that the mystery is about her mother, but humane enough to leave the boy, who she knew only she could save. 

5.   The movie is set in Victorian England and will remind you of the TV series Sherlock, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, with its picturesque but contrasting landscapes of lush green rolling hills and the busy bustling streets of London. 

6.   There is a very good sense of humor, which makes it a witty and fun watch. 

7. The changes witnessed towards gender equality and female empowerment unfold in a beautiful manner. The conflict in the thought processes of the orthodox and the pragmatist circles in Victorian society is very significant all throughout the movie. The contrast between Mycroft’s dialogues like “good god feminism, she might be crazy” and the Mother’s dialogues like “sometimes, if you want to be heard, you need to speak” show the complexity behind the acceptance of reformation. 

When someone says the name Holmes, you are likely to think about a British period piece and a detective mystery. The movie Enola Holmes is that and bucketloads of other things. I am sure that everybody has expectations as high as Mount Everest when it comes to a Holmes movie, but it is good to see Sherlock take the back seat for once. This movie has a strong message, excellent actors, and multi-dimensional characters – everything you could be looking for. Even though it might not be a Sherlock Holmes movie, it is perfect if you are looking for something thoughtful yet not overly taxing, or something mysterious but not ghostly or gory. To round off your viewing experience, I recommend cosying up with a warm fuzzy blanket and a mug of hot chocolate!

Nishtha Saraf

UC London '24

I am studying History with a year abroad at University College London. I am a foodie who likes travelling, reading, playing soccer and watching Formula 1.
Amal Malik

UC London '22

President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus UC London. Student of BA Comparative Literature. From ??/ ??