This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Hello readers, 

Hope you are all well, safe and that you are keeping your self healthy.  But why not keep your skin healthy as well? 

Today I am proposing 6 different DYO face masks, that have been recommended on HealthLine, one for different types of skin.

1. Acne mask 

Acne is one of the most common skin problems among the young. The protein in egg white help killing the bacteria and stopping blemishes.  

Ingredients:  2/3 egg whites

Instructions:  Separate egg whites from the yolk, and place the egg whites in a bowl. Dip a cotton swab into the bowl and dab the egg whites over your face. Let the mask sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash off with a damp cloth and apply a moisturizer.

2. Hyperpigmentation mask

Hyperpigmentation refers to the darkened areas of the skin, often due to acne, age and/or sun. Dermatological treatment can work; however, they can be very expensive. You can save money by trying this turmeric-based mask. 

Ingredients:  1/12 tsp. turmeric powder 1 to 2 tbsp. raw honey

Instructions: Mix all ingredients in a bowl to create a paste. Gently massage the paste over your face. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then wash off with warm water.

3. Clogged pores mask

Oatmeal and baking soda have exfoliating properties, removing dead skin and unclog pores. 

Ingredients:  2 tsp. oatmeal 1 tsp. baking soda Instructions:  Combine the oatmeal and baking soda in a bowl. Slowly add a few drops of water to create a paste. Gently massage the paste over your face and let it dry. Wash off with warm water and apply a moisturizer.

4. Oilskin mask

Oily skin occurs when pores produce too much sebum (natural skin oil).  Oils can clog pores, triggering acne and inflammations. Bananas help absorb oil and lemons help cleanse pores. 

Ingredients:  1 banana 10 drops of lemon juice  1tsp. extra virgin olive oil Instructions: Mash the banana in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and olive oil to create a liquid paste. Apply the mask over your face. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash off with warm water.

5. Dry skin mask

Hydrating facial mask helps the skin to retain moisture and alleviate dullness and itching. 

Ingredients:  half of a cucumber  2 tbsp. aloe vera gel Instructions:  Blend the cucumber and combine with the aloe vera gel. Gently massage the paste over your face. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash off with water.

6. Wrinkles mask

To reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and promote firmer skin.  Avocados and cocoa powder stimulate the collagen production, while honey moisturises and soften the skin. 

Ingredients:  2 avocados 1 tbsp. raw honey 2tbsp. cocoa powder  Instructions:  Mash the avocados in a bowl and then add the cocoa powder and honey. Gently massage the mask over your face. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then wash off with warm water.

DO’S: Leave the mask on for 10 to 30 minutes. This allows ingredients to penetrate your skin. One option: Apply before getting in the shower or tub. Wash your face with water and a gentle cleanser before applying a mask.  Apply a moisturizer after washing off the mask. Splash cold water on your face after removing the mask to close your pores.

DON’TS: Don’t use a mask if you experience skin irritation or an allergic reaction (redness, itching, or rash). Don’t apply a mask every night. Only apply once or twice a week. Don’t leave the mask on for too long, or else you could irritate your skin. Don’t scrub your skin when washing off the mask. This can cause irritation and redness.

Stay safe and (skin) healthy! 

I feel incredibly proud and privileged to be part of the first-ever Her Campus Community Correspondent team as Senior Editor at UCL as a Global Governance and Ethics master student. My decision to be part of this team arises from my work and academic experiences with vulnerable individuals and, in particular, with women. My interests and aims are particularly focused on spreading awareness and educating about global issues, such as human rights and social (in)justice, and the role of women in these matters.
Peaches was the first ever Her Campus Community Correspondent at the University College London Chapter. She became involved in Her Campus as she is passionate about the empowerment of women as well as raising awareness of the inequalities and prejudices women face in their day to day lives.