Skin Treatments Worth Price Tag Feature Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

DOs and DON’Ts When You Have Acne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Dealing with acne can be tough. This skin condition affects many parts of your life, from your body to how you perceive yourself. It is important to stay positive and be kind to your skin, while finding the best way to get rid of the problem. Here are some of the things you should and shouldn’t do when you have acne.  

Take care of your skin barrier!

If you have acne, your skin is probably very vulnerable. In order to have healthy skin, we need to make sure that our skin barrier is not overly sensitised and weak. The lipids that surround skin cells might be lacking, therefore you should find products that contain these three elements: ceramides, free fatty acids and cholesterol. They are the major components of the lipids and will be very beneficial in your moisturiser.

Avoid irritants!

If you’re using active ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, salicylic acids or or retinoids, and your skin is not responding positively to them, or if you’re noticing itchiness and flakiness from your products containing fragrance, avoid them at all costs. They might be the cause of your acne!

Slowly introduce actives

But only if you are sure your skin can take them! Chemical peels, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid serums– these are all great products that will enhance the turnover of your skin cells. But remember that every skin is different and a product that works for the majority of people might not work for you. For this reason, it would be very helpful to see a specialist, who will suggest the best product for your skin.

Keep your skincare routine as simple as possible

Remember the basics: cleanser, moisturiser and SPF. In case you want to keep or introduce actives, only use one at a time. Acne makes your skin extremely sensitive and reactive, so let’s have a minimalistic mindset and only supply it with what it needs.

See a dermatologist

If you’re struggling to find the right products, if acne is causing you depression or stress, or simply if you fancy it, I suggest you consult a doctor to get the best advice. Acne will only disappear with the perfect products and lots and lots of…

…Patience!

Acne can take a long time to disappear and even when it does, our skin is left with scars and pigmentation. So, be patient and don’t stress about it. Always treat your skin and yourself with kindness!

Maria D'Aniello

UC London '21

BA Comparative Literature at UCL
Amal Malik

UC London '22

President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus UC London. Student of BA Comparative Literature. From ??/ ??