This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

It is impossible to know everything about any single culture, but music can be one of the most accessible ways to gain a small insight into a country’s societal, racial, and cultural landscape(s). Exploring Brazilian music is genuinely one of my passions, mainly because, considering its geographical size and racial diversity, a plethora of different genres have emerged from Brazil, making the country’s soundscape so dynamic, exciting, and engaging. 

I have outlined some of the most popular and well-known genres, including the most popular artists of each genre and some song recommendations so that you get a feel of each one. Moreover, below the main article, I am sharing with you my personal musical ‘project’: an ever-growing playlist where I share music that I love and have found from Brazil, as well as from other Portuguese-speaking countries. (Click on the Spotify icon to access the whole playlist!)  

FUNK CARIOCA 

Known also as ‘Baile Funk’ or ‘Favela Funk’, Funk Carioca hails from Rio de Janeiro and is heavily influenced by American Hip Hop and Miami Bass. With an almost identical history to Samba, Funk Carioca was born in the favelas and has faced a history of discrimination and criminalisation but has grown exponentially since its genesis. Unfortunately, this genre tends to feature songs with misogynistic lyrics that hyper-sexualise women. However, the good news is that there is a new wave of funkeiras, female funk singers who are re-appropriating funk and amplifying their voices, such as Anitta (who has an incredible global career), Ludmilla, Luísa Sonza and more. Some of the most well-known funk songs outside of Brazil are ‘Vai Malandra’ by Anitta, ZAAC, Maejor (feat. Tropkillaz & DJ Yuri Marins) and ‘Olha a Explosão’ by MC Kevinho. 

Recommendations:

• DANÇARINA – Pedro Sampaio, MC Pedrinho 
  • Combatchy – Anitta, Lexa, Luísa Sonza, MC Rebecca 
  • Não Sou Obrigada – Pocah

SERTANEJO

This is fundamentally the Country music of Brazil that is typical of the ‘interior’ (the countryside of Brazil). It originated in the 1920s but has exploded over the last twenty years. Artists typically use instruments such as guitars, drums and accordions and lyrics often explore themes like failed relationships, love, and affairs. Marília Mendonça, named the ‘queen of sofêrencia’ (meaning ‘queen of suffering’), led this musical movement over these last few years, but she very tragically died last November. Her legacy lives on and she was the most streamed artist in 2021 on Spotify Brazil. Luan Santana is another incredibly popular Sertanejo singer; I highly recommend his intoxicating song featuring Luísa Sonza called ‘Coração Cigano’. 

Recommendations:

• Ai Se Eu Te Pego – Michel Teló (I think a lot of you will know this one!)
  • Infiel – Marília Mendonça
  • Morena – Luan Santana 

AXÉ

With its origins rooted in the history of slavery and the African diaspora more generally, Axé was born in Salvador, Bahia in the northeast of Brazil. Samba, Reggae, Forró were all genres that influenced the sounds of Axé. On reflection, it is highly evident that a lot of different genres have influenced each other. Given its Afro-Brazilian roots, Axé is linked to the Candomblé religion (a form of religious syncretism, combining Yoruba customs/beliefs with Roman Catholicism) and is highly present and widely performed at Carnaval every year. Ivete Sangalo, who was also a former member of Banda Eva, has been and still is one of the biggest Axé stars, and nowadays Leo Santana has played a significant role in promoting Axé and mixing it with other musical genres. 

Recommendations:

• Levada Louca – Banda Eva 
  • Revoada (Ao Vivo) – Leo Santana, Wesley Safadão 
  • Milla – Netinho 

PISADINHA 

Also known as ‘piseiro’, Pisadinha is derived from Forró (often pitched as the ‘Salsa of Brazil’) and emerged from Bahia, a state in the northeastern region of Brazil. Pisadinha songs are often rather simple in terms of melody, but with the use of electro music elements (synthesisers, drum machines etc.) they are sonically quite loaded, making them perky and upbeat. Some famous artists include Zé Felipe and Wesley Safadão, and Brisa Star is on the rise. 

Recommendations:

• Malvada – Zé Felipe
  • Tá Rocheda – Os Barões Da Pisadinha 
  • Vontade de Morder – Simone & Simaria, Zé Felipe 

N.B. There are several iconic genres that I have not been able to explore such as Samba, Bossa Nova, Forró to name a few, but they do feature in the playlist below. 

Angelica Meneely

UC London '23

Angelica (she/her) studies Comparative Literature with Portuguese. She is a proud Londoner and passionate about the arts. When she grows up, she wants to be a ‘Creative’ (think Emma Thompson meets Michaela Coel meets J.Lo). She also loves funky earrings, astrology, Latin American music, Frida Kahlo, and learning celebrity heights.