How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

“Cycle of Success: How Menstrual Health Impacts Careers and Workplace Productivity” 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

1.8 billion people across the world menstruate every month, yet there is still a major stigma and taboo around the topic. While the workplace can be a stressful environment for anyone, people who bleed may feel an enhanced sense of anxiety. In fact, a study by Bloody Good Period found that 89% of people who bleed felt some form of stress or anxiety in the workplace due to their period. Where’s the nearest toilet? Do I have enough pads/tampons with me? What will people think of me if I keep taking bathroom breaks? Will my career suffer because of my cycle? Many workplaces still do not have adequate policies in place to create period-positive environments for their employees, and this can have serious impacts on people’s careers and wellbeing. In this article, let’s look at the problem of the lack of period-positive culture and policy in the workplace, those most affected by this and what’s being done to remedy this.  

A study by CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development) found that 4 out of 5 employees in a survey group experienced menstrual symptoms, and more than 2/3 of employees had negative experiences at work because of this. The general stigma surrounding periods often leads to a culture of silence in the workplace; this leaves people feeling ashamed and uncertain about what they’re experiencing. Despite these numbers, a mere 12% of organisations provide some form of menstrual support for their employees. The menstrual stigma not only has negative social impacts but also negative economic implications. It is estimated that a lack of professional menstrual policies costs UK businesses £6 million a year, and menstruators lose 8.4 days of work annually due to lower work productivity while experiencing period symptoms. While almost all menstruators will suffer the consequences of poor period policy in the workplace at some point, those living with menstrual health conditions will be disproportionately affected.  

People with menstrual conditions are often left feeling forgotten, embarrassed and invalidated within their professional lives. In the previously mentioned report by CIPD, 81% of respondents with conditions such as endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), shared they had bad experiences at work because of their symptoms.  Caroline Henaghan, a trainee barrister working at the UK Home Office, described her experiences with PMDD “felt like getting on a hamster wheel and not being able to get off”. Srinikhita Pole started experiencing symptoms of endometriosis in her early 20s, she describes her condition as “…going through something that is eating you alive with every passing month. From not being able to walk for almost seven days and crying like someone bit you to having the pain even after 9 pain killers.” For those living with conditions that greatly exacerbate period symptoms (whether they be physical or emotional), the statistics surrounding workplace disparities are staggering. 40% of people with endometriosis worry about losing their job, and 27% say they’ve missed out on promotions because of their condition. It’s clear that not enough is being done to support the success and well-being of menstruating employees, but what can companies do better?  

One of the key recommendations for improving period policy at work is readdressing existing sickness and absence policies to include more general wording around menstrual health. Creating standalone policies regarding period health is not always effective as many menstruating employees feel they may be stigmatised for making use of them and it may further impact gender inequalities; by including clauses in pre-existing health policies, it’s less likely people will be targeted for taking menstrual leave. Other simple yet effective measures may include allowing employees to take regular rest breaks as required and auditing the work environment to ensure facilities such as toilets and quiet spaces are accessible to all. Another simple fix – FREE SANITARY PRODUCTS IN ALL FACILITIES. It is ridiculous to me that period products are still considered luxury goods and taxed as such, but offering them free of charge in all facilities can alleviate some of the stress associated with bleeding at work. Finally, providing training to staff (particularly those working in areas such as HR) so they are educated on and sensitive to experiencing periods and menstrual symptoms at work can make menstruating employees feel more comfortable to share their feelings and concerns.  

No one should feel ashamed, anxious or embarrassed for experiencing a natural part of human life. If you or someone you know is experiencing menstrual health problems in the workplace or otherwise, there are many useful resources out there:  

Madalen Bayley

UC London '24

Hi I'm Maddy, I'm a third-year Global Humanitarian Studies student at UCL. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada but grew up in the sunny Turks & Caicos Islands. I love reading, writing, travelling, cats and pretty much anything with a feminist agenda! :)