This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

I have struggled for the last few years with my hair and its inability to stick to any particular style or texture. My hair ranges from wavy some days to just pure frizz the next, which is why I have realised the importance of properly taking care of your hair and understanding its needs.

Over lockdown I came to the realisation that I wasn’t doing enough to take care of my hair. I would wash it every day, constantly rub it through with a towel and brush it endlessly when it was wet. I also had a problem with coating my hair with silicon-based shampoos. After understanding what I was doing wrong, I decided to explore products that could help me out with my frizzy hair. 

Of course, a lot of the products listed are also targeted at curly hair which I hope could be a great help to a variety of hair types.

1. Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly Wash Shampoo (£8.25) – Boots

The Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly Wash Shampoo was one of the first products I bought in order to help my hair. Before using this product, I constantly used heavy, silicon-based shampoos which weighed down my hair and made it greasy very quickly. This shampoo has no sulphates, no silicon and is completely vegan and cruelty free. The product reduced the amount of frizz in my hair and I can now go days without washing my hair before it gets greasy again.

2. Noughty Wave Hello Curl Defining Conditioner (£6.99) – Noughty Hair Care

The Noughty Wave Hello Curl Defining Conditioner was a product I found   later on in my haircare journey. Like the Jelly Wash Shampoo, this conditioner is completely vegan and cruelty free, silicon free and 97% natural. Whilst being great at defining curls, the product also has a lovely sea-kelp and avocado oil scent which adds to the hair experience. The conditioner also helped at reducing how tangled my hair would get, which is a great plus. 

3. Microfiber towel (£9.99) – Noughty Hair Care 

Drying your hair with a microfiber towel or t-shirt is very important when trying to reduce frizz as the material is a lot more gentle on the strands and cuticles within your hair. The Noughty microfiber towel shown here has great reviews, (149 4.9 star reviews online). 

I believe this towel in particular is so useful due to its big size and reduction in drying time. However if this particular towel is not up your street, a variety of different microfiber towels can be found across the internet. If you are unable to spend money on a product like this, an old t-shirt is great at wrapping your hair up while reducing frizz.

4. VO5 Extreme Style ReWork Putty (£4.39) – Superdrug

The VO5 Extreme Rework Putty is a product that helps me with the in-between days of washing my hair. Although this gel doesn’t combat frizz directly, it helps with the days when your hair is greasier and harder to cooperate with. I use this product to slick back frizz when putting my hair back and it holds the style all day. 

5. Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly Scrunching Jelly 200ml (£7.25) – Boots

The Umberto Giannini Curl Scrunching Jelly is another product from the Umberto Giannini line that really stands out. The product itself is to be used on wet hair (preferably dripping wet as this is when hair is most malleable) and then scrunched in from the bottom of the hair to the top. I particularly enjoy this product as it compliments your curl pattern without leaving a crunchy texture which a lot of hair jellies seem to do. This product is also extremely accessible (able to buy from boots) and its credibility is backed by over 200 4-5 reviews on the boots website.

6. Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo 250ml (£7.50) – The Body Shop

The Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo from The Body Shop is a slightly different product when compared to the others I have listed. This is because it tackles an issue that can often arise when changing your hair-care routine. While dandruff can be a particularly embarrassing topic for some, it is an extremely common issue. When I stopped washing my hair everyday, my scalp became very dry and flaky as it was adjusting to the new oils in my hair. I found that this shampoo really helped combat this dryness without coating my hair in unneeded chemicals, leaving it with the same shine and texture.

Overall, while everyone has different hair types and textures, I hope I have helped tackle some of the issues that can arise from switching your hair-care routine. Hair-care is so important for self-care, so make sure to try and love your hair as much as possible, hopefully some of these products can aid in this.

Third year undergraduate studying BA History at UCL.