matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Post-Apocalyptic Shows for a Pre-Apocalyptic Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

There is no doubt that times like these have an eerie familiarity to them. They echo the feelings of uncertainty and fear that are so often aptly depicted on our television screens. It’s scary to think about these scenarios becoming reality, but many of us also contend with the fact that we could easily be facing these exact situations in our own world in the near future. So, after that obviously uplifting and optimistic realisation, I’ve chosen to explore my somewhat masochistic side and indulge in some of the most well thought out, realistic and spectacularly written television shows that have tackled this daunting topic – the apocalypse. So, here is a list of some of my favourite, most nail biting tv shows to watch in a world where reality just doesn’t seem real anymore. 

1.     The Walking Dead 

If I could say one thing about this show it would be that it does not hold back. I started this show a year ago and what a wild ride it has been. The glue that holds it together is the unbelievable group of characters that have been created to brave a zombie-riddled world. Based on a comic book, the show tells the story of police officer Rick Grimes who finds himself alone in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, but the group of survivors with whom he weathers the storm become nothing less than family and – trust me – they will become your family too. I have many a time ugly cried at a character’s demise just because of the sheer connection and strength of the relationships these people have cultivated. The cast is well diversified and the plot and writing of the show are unmatched, with mind-blowing plot twists and jaw-dropping revelations. But more importantly, it feels unbelievably real as the most interesting thing about this show is that zombies are rarely the problem. Watching ‘The Walking Dead’ provided me with a glimpse into the human psyche; how different people might react to a life changing world apocalypse. Some choose to share what they have and work together, while some choose to use power and selfishness as a means to survive. It’s shocking but also unsurprising that in a zombie apocalypse, it’s other human beings you need to worry about the most.

Trigger Warning: A great deal of blood and gore. 

2.     The 100

The 100 has managed to take quite an established genre and transform it into something unique and refreshing. The show opens on a spaceship called ‘The Ark’, where all that is left of humanity now dwells after a nuclear apocalypse rendered Earth inhospitable and decimated civilisation. After a century of living in space, the leaders of the Ark choose to send down 100 juvenile delinquents down to Earth to determine its habitability. The lead of the show is a girl named Clark, who possesses unapologetic leadership skills, strength, as well as compassion. Astonishingly, however, a female lead isn’t even the best thing about this show. The plot is wild but still believable (although it does push the boundaries here and there), combining sci-fi and some eerily real scenarios, the show makes for a very unique watching experience. The 100 fearlessly confronts moral and ethical dilemmas that are inevitably faced in a reality where not only a world is decimated but so too are the norms and morals that governed society. The survivors of the nuclear apocalypse have to sometimes choose between surviving or holding onto their humanity. They force you to ask yourself to choose between your people or the rest of civilisation. It’s interesting to experience and to wonder what you would do when put in their position. The show is full of gratifying character arks, pure and wholesome relationships and confrontations of who we really are when put in a life or death situation. The 100 really is one of the best shows out there. 

3.     The Umbrella Academy 

I should admit, I am cheating a little bit with this one. The Umbrella Academy is less of a ‘the apocalypse started as a result of human negligence’ and more the result of a deeply dysfunctional family with superpowers – a fantastic combination, obviously. Created and written as a graphic novel/comic book by My Chemical Romance lead singer, Gerard Way, the show follows seven children who were born with superpowers and were adopted by multi-millionaire Reginald Hargreaves, in order to be trained and honed into world-saving crime fighters. The characters are brilliant, and the writing is an absolutely perfect blend of dramatic and laugh out loud hilarious, skilfully handling difficult situations with levity. The estranged family members evoke an anger only siblings can bring out in one another, while they overcome the mess that is their own personal lives in order to stop an apocalypse that decimates the world. If you choose to watch even one show on this list, please make it this one!

4.     Revolution

Revolution is one of those shows that had an intriguing premise, great plot and compelling characters, but was never really given much of a chance in mainstream television. What makes this show interesting is that we don’t initially know what started the apocalypse, which for this show, was a worldwide blackout of any and all forms of electricity. Cars stopped dead in the street and planes came crashing out of the sky. What ensues is a collapse of world order and the establishment of a new military government. The interesting thing about this show is that all the main players of the game are connected, and through this connection navigate who they want to be and how they want to start over. Amidst warring overlords and untapped but extremely powerful technology, Revolution manages to single itself out among a very active and overused genre. Unfortunately, the show was cancelled after two seasons, but that does make it the perfect choice to binge as university begins again! 

5.     Daybreak

A Netflix original, Daybreak is a more light-hearted offering in an otherwise bloody and chaotic genre. The show follows Josh, a 17-year-old high schooler, who becomes separated from his girlfriend as soon as the apocalypse hits. Living in a world where adults have morphed into zombie-like creatures, Josh braves this new normal alongside the strange people he meets along the way. This is definitely the one to watch if you prefer a show that explores the humour in a dire situation rather than the hopelessness. What’s great about this show is that it uses the already cutthroat and chaotic environment of high school and applies it to the context of a zombie apocalypse (genius!). Evil gangs of jocks and cheerleaders crawl the landscape of post-zombie riddled California and what ensues is an intriguing journey of a few kids just trying to survive in the remnants of their old world. 

Trigger Warning: Blood and gore.

These shows have truly helped me find a morsel of levity and weirdly enough, calm, amidst a very uncertain and sometimes chaotic time. If you give any one of them a try, I really do believe you won’t regret it!

Zahra Hasnain

UC London '22

Born in Pakistan and living in London, I am a BA Comparative Literature student at UCL with a particular interest in philosophy, fashion and food! I strongly believe identity goes far beyond culture and circumstance, it is an amalgamation of our actions, the things we love and the people we choose to be. I am proud to be President and Editor in Chief of this year's Her Campus issue and am excited to showcase an authentic and empowered female experience.