jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

3 Steps To Get Over Any Rejection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Whether that guy you have been crush on for the entire academic year doesn’t feel the same way, or your best friend from the last 10 years has just started dating someone else, you need to get over it! There is no point getting upset about a guy who doesn’t even want to be with you, you deserve someone better, somebody who actually feels the same way you feel about them. You might want to get over your rejection, you have tried everything thinkable but nothing seems to be helping. Follow these 3 steps and trust me, you will not think twice about the guy who rejected you:

Self-Reflection

You probably spend countless hours thinking about this and don’t seem to have any REAL concrete ideas of where everything went wrong. You have probably blamed yourself, and think it is your personality or your looks which made things go sour. You tell this to your expert advice from your friends who are also hopeless romantics. Your friends are probably telling you that he is just a ‘fuck boy’ or a ‘jerk’ and claiming his personality is the reason things did not work out. But, honestly, you need to be thinking about why things did not go well with this guy in a different way. You and him are not compatible –this is why it did not work out. You need to think in further detail about where your incompatibility lies. Because you are a Leo and he is a Virgo? Perhaps he is very religious and you are not, or he is looking for some fun and you are looking for something a little bit more serious. Put all of these incompatibility areas into a list, you will need it for the next step.

Closure

Make a list of all of the characteristics you want in a guy. I am not talking about looks alone, also consider personality and interests. Compare the list of the kind of person you want to be with the list of the areas of incompatibility that you had with this guy. Trust me, once you have done this you will realise no matter how hot he is, you two were just not meant to be. It may take you some time to accept this realisation that you and him are compatible. But realise, not even Aladin could use a wish from the genie to get Princess Jasmine to love him and that was a fairy tale. In real life it is exactly the same, no matter how much you wish and pray you cannot make someone like or love you. Obviously, you can try to get them to change their opinion, but that only works if they are willing to have their opinion changed. A rejection is a firm no, it is not a maybe from someone who is willing to have their opinion changed. Once you understand this, you should be able to in your own time accept the realisation that you and him just weren’t compatible.

Redirection

Now you have finally accepted the realisation that you two are not meant to be, you can now redirect yourself. The reason I say redirection and not finding someone else is because not everyone wants to find someone else after being rejected. Sometimes, people want a bit of time to enjoy the stress less single lifestyle. Whilst others want to find someone else who fits the list of all of the characteristics they want in a guy. Also, this is the best time to think how to move forward with this guy in a non-relationship kind of way. Do you still want to be friends, or do you want nothing to do with him? Do you want to take a break from being his friend for a while? You need to redirect both the way in which you interact with him as well as with other guys to fit what you want. 

Trust me I can tell that you followed my 3 steps, since you haven’t thought twice about that guy who rejected you. 

Peaches was the first ever Her Campus Community Correspondent at the University College London Chapter. She became involved in Her Campus as she is passionate about the empowerment of women as well as raising awareness of the inequalities and prejudices women face in their day to day lives.