3 Simple Ways To Help Others This Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Here we are – December has finally arrived! I know that Christmas is usually the time of the year that we spent with families and friends. However, not everyone is as lucky. If you are feeling like helping, here are 3 simple ways you can do that!

Become a member of The Basket Brigade

The Basket Brigade is an amazing foundation that delivers ‘hampers of happiness’ to families and individuals in need across the world. You can donate edible goods, give a financial donation, or even take part in their initiative as a volunteer helping to deliver the hampers to those who need them most. Last year they delivered 1,500 hampers in London alone and all in one day! If you want to get involved, head to their website to find out different ways you can show your support.

Giving machines

So, you probably know what a vending machine is, but what about a giving machine? Instead of getting yourself some snacks, or grabbing a drink before class, you could be providing someone with a lifesaving vaccine, clothing the needy, or providing money to support homeless shelters and food banks. In 2018 more than £2 million was raised for charities around the world! These machines are only in select locations around the world and this year there’s one at Hyde Park Chapel

Spread joy 

The final item on this list is arguably the easiest (and 100% free). Be kind. Smile at people in the street, hold the door open for someone, show an outward positive attitude. These small things can make the biggest difference to somebody’s day. At this time of year, a lot of people feel isolated and alone, one of the best things we can do is talk to them. Reach out to people this Christmas, let them know you’re thinking of them and that you’re there to support and listen to them. Let your love for the season reach out and bring joy to everyone you spend time with this year.

You now know 3 simple ways you can help others in this holiday season!