This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Is reading more your new resolution? Look no further, these are the books to kickstart your reading challenge.   

1. Love in Colour by Bolu Babalola 

The book is brimming with reimagined tellings of mythological love stories from West Africa to the Middle East and beyond. Made up of 13 short stories with women at the centre, 10 are based on a well-known mythology that is cleverly  subverted and adapted. One story focuses on the feelings of unappreciation felt by a high-born Nigerian goddess who longs to be truly seen. The refreshing, vibrant and poetic writing makes it a captivating read that should be savoured but if you’re like me will ultimately be devoured! 

Babalola’s writings are lyrical, witty and funny, that there is no doubt that this will get you out of your reading slump! In terms of characters, the range of female protagonists is unmatched, I found myself really enjoying the different dynamics in each story. Overall,check out this book as it will bring you laughter and joy, taking you out of your reading slump. 

2. My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

Whatever you’re thinking, this book is more gripping, comical and creative than you can imagine. Within this book, the old saying blood is thicker than water takes a whole new meaning and the author explores the limits of sibling bonds. 

The book is centred on Korede who cleans up after her little sister’s relationship messes. To the point where Korede moves reflexively by gathering the necessary equipment: bleach and rubber gloves when called for help. The story takes a turn when Ayola (Korede’s little sister) begins dating a Korede’s colleague at the hospital who just so happens to be a long-time crush of Korede! How far will Korede go to save her crush from her dangerous sister and will it be enough? 

Overall, this book is wild, darkly comic and simply amazing, it will drag you out of your reading slump! 

3. Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo 

The lives of 12 diverse Black characters are explored in different periods of history where their struggles with identity and love is captured. What is unique about this book is how each chapter features a named character and their struggles in a specific historical period. The struggles range from challenges in being Black and British in a racist society. Throughout the book, the writing guides the reader to realise that the distinct struggles are part of a shared identity. 

The delicate way different black women’s voices are captured reveals the distinct and hard-hitting experiences of racism and its lasting effects on Black identity. 

A profound and heart-wrenching read of contemporary social topics that should not be missed.