Yahir Barragan: Keeping It Classy and Unstructured

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Far enough away from home to experience independence but close enough to visit from time to time is the reason Yahir Barragan, third year Civil Engineering major, made UCI his college of choice to attend. Actually, it was a really nice campus but it initially did not attract him. Though he found it to be quiet, he realized that it was the small community he liked. 

Yahir reminisces about his first year, during which he lived in Arroyo Vista – which is not where most first-years would live. “Moving in was surreal. It was cool because it was a new experience, but I was anxious because if was different,” he said. The day he moved in, his mom knew that he was nervous because he barely touched his food and that’s unlike him—because Yahir loves food! Living in Arroyo Vista was dissimilar to life in the first-year housing dorms and that’s why he was compelled to join clubs – and eventually Greek Life.

He kept an eye out for clubs related to his major and of course–food. He began by applying to be a CORE Volunteer and his interview for that position was his first actual interview. He got the position and continued as a volunteer for the rest of the year. He looked for a food club, but found none so he and his friends took the initiative and started their own: EGG (Eaters Grub Group). The club was alive and well until Spring 2013. That quarter is when he joined Pi Kappa Phi.

In terms of Yahir’s motivation, there was a big difference from high school. He struggled–and still struggles–with studying. He picks up ways of studying from different people he studies with and gains resources from those he spent time with. Yahir’s biggest change is not allocating time to study instead of studying straight on. In other words, study hard but take study breaks. To help maintain this goal, he uses a Self-Control App.

Yahir had his own wake-up call; that no matter how involved he was, his priority was and remains his academics. He shares that his parents are his strong motivators and that he’s reminded of how much work his parents have devoted to get him to where he is now. He also has a younger sister who looks up to him and because of her, he wants to set a good example. Yahir mentions, “My sister wants to come to UCI. In her school, they have college days and each time, she simply asks me to bring home gear for her.”

Other than Pi Kappa Phi, Yahir works at the ARC at the UCI Team Up Ropes Course. He had even more on his plate but had to give up some of these obligations to focus on academics. He wants to go back to being involved in other clubs, but for now, the ARC and his fraternity are his top priority. He’s got a bonus act this year: Greek Songfest Cast! As a matter of fact, he did not want to audition at first but ended up auditioning anyway. He did not think he was going to get the part, but fortunately, he has a role.

He didn’t join Pi Kappa Phi until Spring 2013 because he was rushing and figuring out which fraternity he wanted to be a part of. What he enjoys about belonging to a fraternity is how special it is to be with people who are like-minded; being with people who are generally reaching for the same goals, which creates a great environment. Beyond bonding with people who share similar ideals, it is the sense of brotherhood he appreciates. Getting to meet people and build relationships is strong in his fraternity. He also has the opportunity to create networks, which will help him in the long run. In regards to why he chose Pi Kappa Phi, he says he wants to leave a positive legacy. At the time Yahir joined Pi Kappa Phi, the fraternity was just getting started. As a third year, he knows he has accomplished so much with Pi Kappa Phi: from being Vice President during his second year to being the Scholarship Officer this year. Although he and his fraternity brothers wanted him to return as Vice President, Yahir wanted to try a different role.

Although he’s staying at UCI for a fifth year, Yahir is trying to focus more on classes and dedicate more consistent attention to studying instead of cramming. He is following a good set of time management techniques and not letting other things distract him. Although calendars and a structured schedule do not work for him, he does try to keep a daily to-do list. Of the many things he’s learned over the past years at UCI, it’s that he is becoming a leader and building opportunities not only for himself, but for the future students of UCI and those who will commit to Pi Kappa Phi.

Jamrensze De Leon (goes by J-Mi), became a member of Her Campus UCI during Spring 2014. She graduated in June 2017 with a double major in Educational Sciences and Sociology. During her time at UCI, she has held positions such as: Resident Advisor in Middle Earth Housing, Community Assistant in Camino del Sol, the Vice President of Community Council in Middle Earth, a Coordinating Board representative in the Government of Undergraduate Student Housing (GUSH), GUSH's National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) Leadership Development Chair, and more! Some of her hobbies include baking, dancing, writing poetry, being behind and in front of the camera (photography), and other DIY crafts. She is also on instagram (jmi_deleon). You can totally follow her adventures there! She loves being a part of something great, something big, and eventually wants to use all the skills she’s learned and make a difference in the world. So why UCI? Because she fell in love with it. She loves the vibe, the people, the park in the middle of campus, and the fact that the campus goes in a circle. Random Fun Fact: She and Hello Kitty have the same birthday. That might be the reason she loves the color pink so much!
...