Women’s March LA: “This is what democracy looks like”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Today (January 21st, 2017) marks a moment in history that we will never forget. Thousands of people throughout the world became a part of the Women’s March demonstration. While the principal demonstration took place in Washington, we saw the world echo the movement and mobilize for the same cause in what we call “sister marches” which included cities such as Sydney, Berlin, London, Pari and even Antartica. The worlwide uprise reached all 7 continents making it one of the largest demonstrations in US history. 

According to the Women’s March National Committee, the purpose of the march was “to send a bold message to our new government on their first day in office, and to the world that women’s rights are human rights. We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us.” And let me tell you, the message was loud and clear.

Chants such as “This is what democracy looks like”, “My body, My choice”. “Love Trumps Hate”, “We want a leader, not an angry tweeter” and “Hey hey, oh oh, Donald Trump has got to go” flooded the air and got louder and louder with each passing moment. The crowd grew both in size and with excitement.  Can you believe there was 750,000+ of us in LA alone? I had never been a part of a movement of this kind, let alone one of this magnitud,  but I loved it. There was anger, there was passion, there were laughs and new friendships made. The bonds I built with strangers as we stood up for what we believe in are interactions I will never forget. 

I’ve heard the phrase “Silence never makes change” and while marching I met so many wonderful people. It felt almost as if I knew these people. They were kind among one another but firce in pursuing th cause. It was an eye-opening moment that managed to ignite something within. This was a reminder than together we are stronger than ever. The best part? This is only the beginning. The Women’s March National Committee has announced an initiative called “10 Actions 100 Days”. This wil focus on “taking action on a cause we care about every 10 days”. 

Today I march for all the #nastywomen who are not able to. I march for equality. I march for a better tomorrow and for all those courageous women who marched before me. I march for all the mothers, the daughters, the abuelas, the tias, the sisters. I march because as part of this generation, I refuse to watch injustices happen. I chose to march because I will no longer remain in silence when I see so much room for change.I march for equality. I march for love. Why do you march?

Source: https://www.womensmarch.com/

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.