Why is Black Friday a thing?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Black Friday is the perfect day to get your holiday shopping done. Whether you leave your house thinking about the excitement of what you might find or are dtermined to fulfill your holiday shopping list in one night, most of us participate in it, but why is it a thing?

The term Black Friday was actually coined in the 1960s and it was used to refer to the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. Back in the day (before our wonderful computers) when financial records were kept by hand, a transition from red to black ink on the records signified transitioning from loss to profit. In today’s consumer world, the concept is similar. For many retailers, Black Friday provides an opportunity to “break even” or make up for a slow year. The idea of having deals everywhere, and the holidays approaching encourages many individuals to go out and be more likely to spend that throughout other seasons in the year. 

It is interesting to see that with the advancement of technology and the demand for online shopping, apart from Black Friday we also have a Cyber Monday. What initiated as a single day of discounts and shopping, has now trasnformed into a whole weekend! As consumers, it is our responsibility to be informed about the companies we continusously give our money too. While it easier to shop at large retailers that carry trendy and afforadble items, the way the items are manufactured may not be the most ethical. 

Small Business Saturday is a perfect opportunity to support locally owned shops. Personally, I love shopping at locally owned shops because it is easier to find unique pieces and in most cases, you are supporting your own community, artists and families through your purchases.

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.